Boat Trailer tow hitch weight

Coddy

Hi all

When I was towing my boat I thought I was getting weak as I could hardly lift the tow hitch coupling on the trailer. wink.gif

I thought I better check the weight on the tow ball and used the FPO's scales, so they must lie laugh.gif , and found I had nearly 19 stone or 120kgs on the hitch!!

I have now moved the boat backwards on the trailer to just under 75kgs, my cars max load.

My point is when was the last time you checked your nose weight?

Adam, I would be interested in how you got on with your Warrior, did it come with a Roller Coaster 3 trailer?

If so does the front rollers (the large ones) still touch the hull?

Regards

Codfather

unsure.gif

Hi

Use a set of bathroom scales with a piece of wood inside trailer hitch and resting on the scales.

Unscrew the jockey wheel until the front of the trailer is resting on the wood which is pushing on the scales.

Read the weight shown (1kg = 2.2lbs) (14lbs = 1 stone)

Seems most cars will accept max of 75kgs on towball

Regards

Codfather

Interesting point coddy.

I have never checked but I will do today. Mine came with the roller coaster 1. But I cannot see any differences between this and the 3??? It has the 32 rollers that warrior specify?

I only have a small tow vehicle at the mo (Astra 1.7TDI)) so it wont tow that much anyway - it copes fine with BW. I can lift the boat on the hitch, but it is faitly heavy, I would guess about 80-90lbs?

Ill let you know.

Coddy,

You are right to ask Adam about the position of the front rollers.

The position of the rear rollers is equally important because they carry most of the weight of the engine. If you have moved the boat too far back, the rear rollers will be moved too far forward causing stress fractures due to the over hanging weight of the engine.

I think warrior recommend that the rear rollers should be about 6in in from the transom.

I'd be very careful about repositioning a Warrior on the trailer, because they are prone to stress fractures during trailering.

If the nose weght is too heavy I would look at the distribution of the load in the boat, first. Perhaps there is too much stuff in the bow or there's a spare trailer wheel bolted on the front of the trailer (I used to have my spare wheel on the trailer but took it off due to the weight and because there was a phase of people slashing tyres at the slip and the buggers would slash the spares aswell if I kept it on the trailer. I now keep it in the car).

This is teaching you to suck eggs because I know you are aware of all this, but it's worth repeating for others benefit.

cheers

Bob F.

You can adjust the nose weight by moving the axle. Most axles are just bolted in position so a few bolts undone move the axle then do em up again. This is more awkward than moving the boat up and down the frame to get the required nose weight but your boat does stay in the manufacturers suggested area.

Martin

Thanks guys

I did not think about moving the axle and the transom is now overhanging the back of the trailer by 12" (just gone to check it)

I was a bit concerned that the very front rollers do not seem to carry any of the weight and are free to turn huh.gif

The towing beam I think is at its maximum length and I dont think I have anything heavy in the cuddy.

The anchor and warp are in a self contained box in the middle over the axle, the fuel tanks are at the back. The only heavy items are the twin batteries which are kept in the console locker.

I view of what has been said I might email Warrior and seek their advice.

Thanks again

Cod

ph34r.gif

If you decide to move your axle a little tip to help keep everything square is to mark the current position with an indelible marker pen. That way you can be sure that both sides of the axle are moved the same distance. The other advantage of marking the current position is that you can relocate the axle in the origonal place if needed.

Martin

Aparently we dont have any scales in our house! wink.gif I have just lifted and guestimated the weight. I can lift it onto the hitch, and hold it for maybe a minute - I rekon it weighs around 80-100lb - what is taht in new money? 60kgs??

Anyway - the package is direct from Warrior - it tows on my little astra OK, and the trailer is the specific one from Indespension - it aint broke so Im not gunna fix it!

Coddy - let me know what Warrior say - Id be very interested.

Adam

Hi all

I have had a response from Warrior as follows

ideally the rollers should be just under the transom.Your moving the boat

and reducing the nose wieght will not unduly affect the hull unless you are

driving on very bumpy roads. You may be better looking for rear spring

assisters for your car.Regards Paul Haynes.

Hope that helps anyone

Regards

Codfather rolleyes.gif