Alderney 2004

Adam F

I thought Id start a new thread for all of the catch reports. I will just report on mine also - as I suspect the others will want to do their own.

Well - what can I say! Bloody Weather! rolleyes.gif As most of you will have gathered our 4 day trip turned into a 2 day trip courtesy of the bad weather.

Mon saw us stop on 3 wrecks on the way over. Pollock, Ling, Pout and Conger all scoring with mixed success. But thoroughly enjoyable as not something us small boats get to do very often (at all?)

Tues and Weds - force 8/9 heavy rain. No chance of getting out of the harbour, so rock fishing on the lee side of the island. Not great still a little early in the year. Plenty of scenic walking, a few beers, loads of chatting and plenty of micky taking filled the time!

Thurs - force 3/4. FISHING!!!! Finally we got out. Plan to fish the banks all day and bash home in 1 go. This really showed the potential of the fishing. In just under 6 hours we had several nice turbot, a small bass to Rich JAW (!!! tongue.gif ) several other bass, plenty of pollock, and a few bits and bobs. The grounds around Alderney spoil you for choice, reefs, wrecks, banks, shoals, ledges - fishing heaven - everywhere you go looks fishy!

I think everyone really enjoyed the trip - even though we had the 2 crap days, a good time was had by all - were already booked for next year!!!

PS: I will be writing a short story on the trip with a picture gallery, I will post when its done. If anyone has any photos they want to be included - if they send them to me I will gather them for publishing.

Adam

Cheers to Adam for the thankless task of organising the trip. A well oiled operation by any standards...........he even organised a superb trip to the rock hopping grounds by cabriolet.................(For cabriolet - read Nissan Cabstar truck!).

I think we all caught fish, which was ace. Great company, a few bevvies, good scoff, yep book me in for next year please Adam.

Nice one.

Cheers......Rich

Hi all

The trip over was brilliant albeit a little rough sick.gif no one ill!. This is the first time I have wreck fished seriously. We gave the Wild eye Storm shads a thorough trial and can report that I am a convert; I will be trying these on trips from my own boat. The first wreck we fished saw pout and Pollock coming over the gunnels. I achieved my PB Pollock of around 12lb on this wreck (those who took photos could you send them to me). Wreck no 2 gave up more Pollock and Ling. We then made our way to the island and drifted a few miles of the island but not much there.

Arrived at the island and made our way to the accommodation which looked a bit iffy on the outside but wow anglers

Day one I didn;'t have much to report as found the wreck fishing somewhat daunting ( my first time ).

1 Pout

and 1 lost Pollock ( hook bent ).

Day 2 and 3 I joined the Poole Bay Ramblers Assoc. !! and alsow found out how unfit I am.

Day 3 - Much Much better

1 Turbot

1 Bass

Number of Pollock.

All I need to do now is find out where I left my fishing rods ( so tired I forgot to bring them home ).

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

Don't know if you have seen this site recently http://www.alderneyangling.com/ take a look at the reports page.

Were we unlucky or what, it seems everything died the few days we were there then promptly picked up again when we left.

I think there's a conspiracy against us ph34r.gif

We gotta give it another go next year

Martin

Unlucky or what!!....once you get to mid May - it goes crazy again!

I have just recieved emails from Chris - to confirm the booking for next year, and am waiting for a reply back from the Armoury.

Cant Wait!....best get saving!

I wont start talking money until 6 months time at least - the accom. and the skippers are all happy with this.

As for people who wish to come. Obviously it will be first come 1st served as last time, although most people who came this time have asked me to put them down again - we may still have a handful of places though.

Adam