Hello z1plex

Maverick Martin

• 1 month later...

Hello all, i'm new to small boat angling...have been shore fishing for 20 years, mainly in the Bristol Channel but recently decided to take the plunge and get a small fishing boat, (Marina 14'6", Yamaha 25hp, all the usual kit etc.), i've been out from Weymouth and 3 times from West Bay...caught plenty of mackeral, dogfish, scad and gurnard but looking for advice on where to fish. I will be going to fish off Portland with a mate soon but would like some information on Poole and the surrounding areas. Also I can't seem to find any information on my boat re: max engine size etc. , so if anyone has any ideas please let me know. Sorry to be a bit vague but this is all new to me so bear with me! By the way, my name is Duncan and I live in the south of Bristol, and No i don't fancy venturing into the Channel just yet blink.gif

Hi Duncan, and welcome to the site! - I think you are our 60th registered user! biggrin.gif

As for advice, you wil soon pick up these things by reading and contributing to the threads. Trying to answer all your questions in one go would take forever!

Pick a topic at a time, then post it in the appropreate forum, we have never been so busy, so the problem will not be getting advice, but sorting through the mountains of opinions you are given.

We have a fantastic cross section of members both in the club and on the forum, so we should be able to answer most things!

Good to have you aboard!

Adam

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. Yep, I intend to visit and have a look see every time I get chance so i'm sure i'll slowly get to grips with things. Seems the weather's a bit dodgy the weekend, atleast for the marks i've fished up till now, so if any of you guys are venturing out have fun and enjoy !

Cheers all

Duncan.

Hi ziplex, yep thats mine alright.

I have had her only for 3 months, before that I had a boat similar sounding to yours - wanted a Warrior for 4 years, but had to save up for one and then find one!!

I think they are very good - as with all boats it depends on what you want from it, I wanted a fast, smart roomy fishing boat that could double up for playing around with friends or family.

Highly recommended!

Adam

Hi Ziplex,

Not difficult to guess you're a beach man with that name. biggrin.gif

Anways, welcome aboard.

If you are intending to stay within Poole Harbour, try these spots:

Drift the main entrance to the harbour between the Chain Ferry and Brownsea Island. Keep well clear of the Ferry Crossing and be careful during peak times 'cus the entrance can be like the M3!! Best fishing early morning or evening for the bigger specimens of bass. Spinning and sandeels. Note that you cannot anchor in the main channel.

In front of Brownsea Castle around the pier area, drift for small pollack, pout and wrasse on worm baits, bouncing just off bottom.

The Wych channel which runs around the east and north side of Brownsea Island. Find a place to anchor up and fish into the channel. Rag will take school bass and flatties.

The area in front of Blue Lagoon in the shallows. Worms baits will take schoolies and flatties.

There are loads of other places, but try these to begin with, and keep a look out for where other boats are fishing.

Baiter is your best choice for launching, but avoid extreme low tides. Note that Poole Harbour has a double tide each day.

cheers

Bob F.