How Big Is This Engine?

spNOam

About to change my engine to a mariner 90 foustroke...before I buy....I have no idea how tall this engine is and as the engine will need to tilt into the engine well does anyone have any 'technical data' (how tall?) for this engine? The reason I ask is that I may need to buy a jack plate or spacer of some kind as well as the engine & would like to know before I commit.

Current engine (mariner 75 2 stroke) has approx 1/2" clearance with the rear of the engine well (when tilted) and is 23 and a bit inches tall.....the 90 4 stroke is 25 and a bit inches tall therefore a 2" spacer will move the 90 rearwards just enough to make it fit. Either that or I'm looking at one of these http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/view/F111226/ which is rather more expensive...

I've seen many boats with an ugly lump of marine ply mounted to the transom for this purpose, as the boat is out of the water for the winter I've plenty of time to make a nice job if I can find a suitable lump of white plasic or nylon.

Geoff

be surprised if the new engine has a wider gap than the existing and that as this represents transom thickness how are you going to fit a spacer in too?

sensible to take into account now though - many don't think of it!

you won't need a jack plate - that's for high performance deep v hulls where the variation of the height of the cavitation plate relative to the keel is trimmed to enhance performance - as opposed to (in conjunction with) trimming the angle.

on one of my boats I had to turn the steering wheel over to one side to accomadate the last few inches of tilt in the engine well - but that's 'cos I had a 175 and the standard was a 125........... rolleyes.gif

I agree with Duncan, that's why I asked the question. But then I didn't want to say it wouldnt work 'cos some one would be bound to argue the point. But now it's been opened up I don't think your idea will work. Niether should you try and alter the transom unless you REALLY know what your doing, as the stress forces involved in moving the prop thrust through to the hull are huge. Turning the engine to the side when fully tilted up is the usual method of solving this problem.

Mad Mike

Edited by Afishionado

• 3 weeks later...

After much measuring, head scratching & searching I found some 20mm thick plastic board that was 'hard' enough to use as a spacer between the engine & transom bringing the total transom thickness to 80mm which allwed the engine to be fitted without any other modifications. The engine now tilts nicely into the engine well witha 12mm clearance. Looking forward to conducting some sea trials when the waeather allows.