Specimen Weights

CREZZ

Hello All ,

I have noticed that quite a few of you relate to the weight of a fish as a percentage , as does the note on the November open competition poster regarding fish has to be at least 50% of the specimen weight .

Can someone point me in the right direction to where i can find a list of specimen weights for all the fish that are likely to be caught in this area and is there a table that works out the percentages for you , ie . flounder 4lb 2 oz = 120% , or do i have to get the calculator out and work it out myself . blink.gif

Thanks ,

Andy smile.gif

on this subject, and related to next weekend - what is the panels view on the flatfish opportunities?

as a dedicated ray man, and crap flounder fisher, I wouldn't have a clue whether there were any decent opportunities for flounder; understand I have more chace of a sole in daylight with a sand eel trawl than rod and line; am never where the plaice are when they are and wouldn't know how to target a dab any more than a weaver...............

so are 'specimen' flounders on the cards?

I was pleasantly surprised at catching some plaice with Martin last year in the Swash....after our comp. time. They weren't that big....... but we had several in an hour's fishing the drifts.

Having put the big blonde back, at least I had something tasty for a couple of meals!

It was the first time I'd fished there this time of year......and it seemed more productive than my efforts there in the Spring .

Weather forecasts seem all over the place for Sunday [ what's new ??]...... so plans will be fluid!

Alun.

Duncan, late Brill and Turbot are still showing on the banks in Weymouth, although the trawlers are working them. Sole have showed up early on the Solent marks that usually produce the later sole then the Barton on Sea marks. The Brittish record was boated from this mark late oct last year, by Dink, I believe. Stingray are still abundant close inshore on both mainland side and Island side of the Solent, fish to 48lb still being taken on bunches of rag, although hours of darkness are best fishing times for these beasts, coupled with neaps........which we have this weekend wink.gif As BBD says, flounder have yet to show in numbers in Poole Harbour, although Mark and I did see a few drifting in the Swash yesterday.

Hope this helps.

Rich

Thanks Rich - food for thought!

May well be racing Maverick for that ray mark rolleyes.gif the Blonde's going to be even bigger this year!

Personally I hate fishing amongst boat wakes so if the weather is good the swash is a no no for me

Lets hope the weather stays as forecast last night (some chance I guess.........)

This ray angling seems mighty tempting, but I'm worried that I might mistake an 11lb spotted ray for a blonde, think it's under 50%, and lob it back mis-identified, when it should be a 200% specimen, or even worse, keep a small blonde ray thinking it's a huge spotted.....

If someone on Frisky achieves the inconceivable and accidentally catches one, who is the best person to ask for identification tips and hints on the day?

Also, what is the smallest size that is worth keeping for dinner, or should I just put them all back?

Mike

It's very difficult for the untrained eyes to distinguish between a small blonde and a large spotted, (sometimes even the trained eyes can't be 100% sure).

Best to take lots of photos top and bottom, so that it can be indentified later.

No one can begrudge you if you are taking a single fish for the table, but I wouldn't take a 30lb blonde tho ..... dry.gif

Mike - good pics are the key to identification

Ray are excellent eating and my preference is for thornback or small eyed around the 7-8lb mark - seem easier to skin and better texture

good luck - weather could still be anywhere between great and poor Sunday!

Hi Mike

Its late so you may not get this in time but the differance between blondes and Spotted are well documented and they are easy once you know what to look for.

Most fish ID books would show it.

But the advice about the photo's is good

Try and take a view from directly above with the ray on a flat surface then email it to me or post on the forum.

Tight lines

Charlie

Kam I once caught a 30lb Blonde and kept it to weigh later [ before anyone moans it was the only one kept out of ten in the day] and when it was cooked it made excelent eating which |I must admit was a surprise.

I prefer to keep the odd 10lb fish for the table