Broken Rod

munterhunter

My Shimano Ultegra uptide rod decided to break half way along the top section while trying to get out of a lock down on sunday, do I

a: Canabilise an old rod and put a section inside the broken rod and glue it together or

b: Buy a new rod (have recently brought a Abu 20-30 Sauveron Pro and 7000c3 so would find it hard to justify the expenditure)

If anyone has carried out any repairs similar to this any advice would be appreciated!

I did do a similar repair many years ago on a fly rod. Inserted a tapered rod and then glued it back together. It worked OK but obviously affected the rod action, especially as it was a fly rod.

One of my cheap Ron Thompsons snapped in have last year, but I just bonned that because they are disposable. tongue.gif

I think I would appempt the repair, after all there's nothing to loose, right?

Im happy to hava a go for you if you like. Have done loads of rod repairs in the past - both for myself 9bit heavy handed!) and for customers when I worked in the Fishing Lodge.

From what you have discribed - the best way will be to strip the top section. Telescope the top through the bottom, and overwhip to add strength. Then re-whip the eyes.

You will never achieve 100% again - but this method usually gives you about 75% of the rods strength. Although it depends on how bad, and where the split/break is.

Let me know if you want me to have a go. Cant promise anything, and might be a few weeks as busy at mo. but Im happy to have a go.

Adam

Thank you Adam for offering your services, however I gave it a bash last night:-

Have inserted a 6 inch section of an old spinning rod into the rod after trimming back 1inch either side fo the break slotted in lovely on the top section but a bit lose on the bottom so built it up with araldite for a snug fit, then glued it in. Luckily the break is just below the 2nd eye so the rod action will not be comprised. Just have to whip(insultaion tape temporary to spread the load at the joint). loaded her up with a dead weigth and she seemed pukka.

New rod turns up today fingers crossed so will keep this one as a spare.