Marks First Bass

Paul D

Over to the island again on Sunday. Trouble finding mackeral at first but eventually found some after 30 mins of looking.

Why is it when you want Joeys you catch monster mackeral !

Filled my newly manufacturered bait tank with mackeral and found it cant keep the big ones alive ( dia is too small ). Joeys are fine though.

Off to the mark, Joeys ( well big mackeral ) engaged, first drift and Charlie phones, Mark is into something big and it is not a fish....., "must go charlie I say plus some other expletives" That buoy I mentioned we should avoid now has a mackeral attached !! - Steamed back to the buoy to retrieve his float and gave him my rod to reel in ( I had forgot to reel in my rod, so yards of braid was left out and the float was a speck in the distance ).

Mark is busy reeling in my float as I watch and I see this "disturbance" on the surface - a bass is chasing the mackeral. I tell Mark to slow the retrieve and the bass attacks the mackeral on the surface. Game on !

5 mins later Mark's first bass is in the net a nice 5lb 4oz. As it was a scorching day and I was sure there would be others we returned the fish, only to see it roll up to the surface again. Steamed over to the fish with net in hand and as I went to scoop up the fish it swam off / down - one lucky fish !

However, rest of the day was non eventful ( apart from I dropped one fish on the first run ), even the charter boat was getting nothing.

Decided to steam over to X-Ray and have a go on the Ebb. Only bream and doggies for us though, plus I then managed to spin my chair around and break my John Wilson Avon Fishing rod weep.gif

Saw PJ and he dropped a bass as we turned up - felt partly responsible ph34r.gif - so went and got him some more joeys. ( Joeys everywhere now when I didn't want them anymore - typical )

markbass.jpg