Can the aux go on the transom

Newboy

I've decided to keep the honda as an aux and with a bit of innovative (botching as my missus call it) ideas, it can be used as hand controlled.

Does it have to go on an ob bracket or can it be mounted on the transom as the main outboard? I put it on today and they fit nicely without hitting each other (main one still central, I'm not that dumb dry.gif ).

As Martin says, if it is mounted directly to the transom you will probably find that the prop will be dragging in the water even when it is fully raised.

With an adjustable OB bracket you will be able to lift the engine clear of the water.

If you go for the OB bracket buy one that is rated to 20-25 hp. The smaller ones are not up to the job and soon brake.

Make sure the OB is low enough in the water to push the boat

Do a test run before you actually rely on it

What if it isn't low enough? it's already a longshaft..... unsure.gif

Hang on a min' . If it is fitted to the transom along side the main engine which I believe you said is a long shaft, then it must be long enough OR the aux' engine is a short shaft. If the main engine is a short shaft then the aux' will be too long if it is a long shaft. Or is your transom sorta ---

struggling to retain an understanding as to what's humerous and or a wind up on this forum at times!

Back to basics - and the grannies in here can cook their eggs as they see fit

1. Both engines will benefit from clear water ie. the cavitation plate should be at or below the bottom of the transom. However this is much more critical for the main than the auxialliary because the latter is not expected to be running when the boat is planning!

2. Most hulls, and therefore transoms, tend to rise towards the sides of the boat. This could mean that there is no water running next to the hull away from the centre at planning speed - but your issue is not at that speed. Mark, or note the water line, and make sure that the cavitation plate of the aux will be below that when it's mounted and 'lowered'. btw don't sit on the transom to do this or you will obvioulsy be influencing this measurement. Whne in actual use you can of course move weight back a bit if you feel you need a little assistance to keep the prop in the water!

3. As already said you really do not want the aux to be able to contact the water when planning - the drag/strain on it's mounting would be significant.

I mounted, and ran, a Merc 4 hp std shaft next to a Merc 175 on the same level on my Dell Quay 660. Raised up it got nowhere near the water when planning but down it ran in reasonably clear water giving 3-4knots (I steered using the main engine as a rudder). However I never had to rely on it to berth or in poor conditions - it's a well know fact that you rengine is less likely to breakdown if you have an aux rigged!

Best of luck.