Burnham On Sea Tactics

Adam F

For all of you who havent fished Burnham before, ot those who fished last year and have forgottern!

Far from me being an expert, this is what we used last year;

The water is like chocolate, and very shallow - 25-30 max in most places. Because of this uptiding is a favoured method as it enables you to fish outside of the 'scare' zone created by a boat in shallow water, casting downtide is another popular method.

Rigs, therfore only need to be simple affairs that wont tangle when casting - a simple running ledger is good - attractor beads etc are a waste of time as the water is too coloured. Main line needs to be 15-25lb BS depending if you are on mono or braid. 12lb class rods or uptiders are ideal - the broom sticks we often use down here are not needed.

Leads - grips are prefered - 6oz is about right, but it pays to have a selecetion, and a few plain leads for downtiding.

Bait: Squid was the main bait last time. Crab, worm and mackerel can all be added if you wish. The key is to have plenty and rebait often.

I think this covers it all - questions if you wish.

Adam

Adam, I was on the phone to a guy who regularly fishes the area, and he suggested never removing worm baits, simply pushing the old bait up the line, so you are left with a good foot or so of bait on the hook length. Plenty of worm and squid is what he reccomended.

Rich

Can anyone tell me what are the rules? I want to make up some rig before hand.

In our comp we used a max of 2 hooks 2 rods with pennel counting as one. When I fished the Poole-Burnham match I remembered they commented we have 'strange' rules, because pennel is clearly 2 hooks but we count them as one.