New Slip Way At Poole

Afishionado

The easiest and most effective way of bringing you all up to date is for me to copy the correspondence ........

It would appear that we need to show that there are areas of the harbour shore that the council can use for this project. I can think of a couple straight off but I think we need input from other members particularly those who live in Poole and also those with any sort of experiance in talking to public authorities etc.

Mad Mike................

Dear Mr Harvey

Thank you for your email,

No easy I answer I'm afraid, as I'm not aware what land could be used for this, but I will copy your comments to colleagues to see if there is anything they can suggest.

Clive.

Clive Smith

Head of Leisure Services

+Borough of Poole, Northmead House, 30-32 Northmead Drive, Creekmoor, Poole, BH17 7RP

( (01202) 261380

2 Fax: (01202) 261302

: www.boroughofpoole.com

-----Original Message-----

From: Harvey family [mailto:mrv@mharvey31.freeserve.co.uk]

Sent: 13 February 2006 20:55

To: c.smith@poole.gov.uk

Cc: "mailto:fisherman1055"@aol.com; maverickofpoole@hotmail.com

Subject: Re Small boat slip way at Poole

Dear Mr Smith, your name was given to me as possibly the best person to contact.

I am writing on behalf of my fishing club (Poole Bay Small Boat Angling Club) and the many hundreds or may be thousands of trailer boat users of Poole harbour.

I would like to draw your attention to the lack of amenities at Poole for trailer boat users. I know about the slip at Baiter but it is woefully inadequate for modern boats. An ideal slip would be one useable at all states of tide, and one that slopes fairly steeply so that unhitching the trailer and pushing it and the boat another 40 or 50 feet into deeper water is not required. Baiter is ideal for PWC's and small sailing dinghies. These are light and usually used by the young and strong. Larger boats (18ft or there about)used by families and fishermen need a much better slip with more thought given to its design and position in the harbour. Considering all the proposed development on the harbour shores, I and those that I write on behalf of would like serious consideration given by Poole Council to the creation of a fully useable slip together with the necessary parking facilities for cars and trailers somewhere in addition to Baiter.

Southampton and Hythe have several council owned slips of the type needed. So too do Lymington and Christchurch. Only at Poole, the centre of small boat activity in the south, that there is only one very poorly designed and placed slipway.

Please guide us as to the best possible way of convincing you and the full council of what we need, and of course a way of getting it.

Yours faithfully

Mike Harvey

Poole Bay Small Boat Angling Club

Mike,

Good letter,

i think the site will be the most problematic obstacle.

Just to give you a little background, the PDSA proposed a site at lake pier about a year ago.

The response was in essence - Too close too a site of special interest so a full impact survey would have to be done up front which made it too costly.

I think it's worth plugging away especially on the back of any plans they may be/should be making in preparation for the olympics.

Trouble is i can't think of where one could go dry.gif

cheers

Paul J

The best chance would be the old powerstation site. You could incorporate a slipway in with whatever they eventually decide to do there. There's plenty of space for parking etc and the depth of water would be ideal for a decent angle for a slipway. The only problem would be the cost ; they're bound to rip you off there I would think.

The best chance would be the old powerstation site. You could incorporate a slipway in with whatever they eventually decide to do there. There's plenty of space for parking etc and the depth of water would be ideal for a decent angle for a slipway. The only problem would be the cost ; they're bound to rip you off there I would think.

My prime choise too, a perfect spot. Other sites are Hamworthy and the existing slip at Evening Hill.

Mad mike

My prime choise too, a perfect spot. Other sites are Hamworthy and the existing slip at Evening Hill.

Mad mike

Mike,

Do you not think Evening Hill stays too shallow for to far out a bit like Baiter and you wouldn't get a decent angle on the slipway. The same applys for Hamworthy unless you start dredging and that opens another can of worms, expense etc.

Hi Mike

For some time now, since I moved down to the Poole area, I have been looking around for suitable places to launch.

I have spent money at most of the launch sites, Davis yard being the exception.

What I have seen is an unused slipway just near the lifting bridge behind the builders/wood yard. It seems all-overgrown but the concrete is still there. Not sure about access however.

The other possible location is alongside Hamworthy Park next to the Yacht club.

There is already part of a concrete platform going into the water, not very far, I know it is not very deep but extending a purpose made ramp is not beyond the realms of possibility. There is plenty of space for turning and parking so it just needs a little development and of course money.

Regarding the old power station site, that is exactly where the new bridge and road will be placed, or so the suggested plans say, so unless they put one in under the bridge and corresponding parking I suspect that it will get converted to a trendy wine bar/cafe area with rates to match the height of the new bridge!

It would be great if they converted the mooring in Slipway road to a slipway but parking would be a problem and I suspect it is too close to the RNLI.

I don't know the slip at Evening Hill but I will make a point of looking for it.

I have been down the Lottery grant route before, it is not easy and you really need someone who knows how to complete the application. They have also changed the rules recently but working with the Council it could pay off.

Well there are some of my thoughts for what's it's worth.

Coddy

cool.gif

Mikey, I think Kam has hit the nail strategically square on the head regarding slipway position and location of RNLI launch sites.

My angle on this one would be to perhaps lean a little more to the forthcoming Olympics, and the obvious increase in recreational boating that this event will provide, being staged so close to "our" home, (speaking as a non - resident of Poole!!!). If we can show the dramatic, and it has been dramatic, increase in the number of recreational craft on the water in general, and the increased income that the council can glean in parking of vehicles and trailers, the kick back for the council is there for as long as folk use a new slipway. If the slipway is pants, then they trail elsewhere and launch there, giving that specific council THEIR pennies.

Coddies point of a millenium grant is well and just, but the number of organisations applying for such grants is immense, therefore the already stringent application rulings have got even tougher. My personal view on that angle is rather sceptical, I'm afraid.

The way the club has grown over the past twelve months shows a couple of things really, despite the fact that the main tool employed to gain membership has been the fantastic website, it gives an indication of those in the catchment area willing to subscribe down a fishing club path. It also shows the power of the internet. Perhaps a site specifically lobbying for a new slipway in Poole Harbour is the way forward, you can show exactly how shallow a draught vessel must be launched there by pictures, which speak far louder than words, you can include all types of recreational boater who are likely to visit the site, pop a link on this site, and one would expect a serious number of hits, pop a petition for a new slipway on the site, and hey presto serious money is saved on postage lobbying, squillions of miles of foot pounding and hours of door knocking goes out of the window. With mentions on local radio, and something re safety on launching in the RNLI periodicals, you are reaching a massive catchment, way way outside Poole Harbour.

Just my thoughts.

Rich

What I have seen is an unused slipway just near the lifting bridge behind the builders/wood yard. It seems all-overgrown but the concrete is still there. Not sure about access however.

The other possible location is alongside Hamworthy Park next to the Yacht club.

There is already part of a concrete platform going into the water, not very far.............

Coddy

The "unused slip just near the lifting bridge", used to be, and I assume still is, owned by Pilkingtons, used to be used by their employees.

The "concrete platform going into the water" that you refer to at Hamworthy Park, sounds like the old cooling water outlet from the power station, used to be a brilliant place to catch Bass when I was a boy, as the water was nice and warm.

Brian

Does anyone use Wilkins Way slipway on West Quay road? I'm sure if you were early enough you could leave your car and trailer down there without any problem.

I used to years ago when I had permission from the then general manager of westovers to use their car park at week ends. The problem there is the bloody minded attitude of so called professional skippers who use there as a dinghy park. Any one outside their exclusive little group was not welcome and many cars and trailers left there at weekends were damaged or totaly boxed in by their vehicles.

Mad Mike