Shambles Trip

Bob F

Right then

Dean cant make the saturday but now he tells me he couldnt make the sunday either sad.gif .

I will check with my other crew member (Bob Horne) to see if he is ok for sat.

Peter Russell senior also asked for a trip up to weymouth so Ill ask him as well.

Whatever the outcome weather permitting I will be there tongue.gif

Martin

Sat is fine by me....but I may need a trip on another boat. Failing that James may let me borrow Tara.

Either way I'll be there.

Who wants me then????!!!

Once we have decided a date, I will sort out the arrangments and post them in my new forum!!

Adam

Not sure if JohnBoy will be coming with me or Mark A (if Enticer is going).

I'll check with John.

Let's find out which boats are going and the buddies that are available.

I assume it will be:

Maverick

Loyal Royale

Splash-Out

Enticer

Maltese

Neo

Bob F

Looks like quite a fleet steaming out..... in search of the plaice....... is the fishing there good / reliable ?? or does it have the 'Chesil' factor, where experience seldom matches expectation !! How do you reckon it compares to Poole ??

Could you tell me how far out of Weymouth the Shambles area is ? Is it very exposed ; or in other words could it be a consideration to be able to fish it , out in my little Orkney 4 40 ??

Given a suitable calm spell, I've been out off the Needles and regularly go out to the end of the Ledge ....... but quickly scuttle off if / when it blows up to 4 or 5 , when discomfort outweighs fishing pleasure.!.

Roll on Spring, Alun.

Hi Alun

The Shambles is approximately 7 miles in total from Weymouth harbour. The west end is only roughly 1.5 miles from land with the banks stretching for approximately 2.5 miles eastward.

On a good day it is flat but when the tide is running the tops of the shambles can get rough with very little wind. The smallest boat I would feel comfortable in would be around 16' and then I would pick the weather.

Regards to the fishing I would rather fish weymouth for plaice than Poole purely because of the chance of a biggy otherwise the fishing is hit and miss as elsewhere

Martin

Cheers Martin,

I'll see how you and the fleet get on !!

I have a friend with a larger boat than mine in Weymouth harbour; armed with some evidence, perhaps i can persuade him to take us out there !

What are the most productive tactics ?? ....... anchored or drifting ..... baited spoons on long traces ??..... with beads etc. ??

Alun.

Alun,

Why not come along anyway? even if you don't get out all the way to the Shambles there still plenty of other things to fish for.

You will be safe in the knowledge you have friends out there able to bail you out if needed- Saftey in numbers

Paul J

Alun - as paul says, please do come. The whole idea of the trail-aways and these club events is to encourage people owning smaller boats or with less experinace of new venues the chance to try them, but with others to add the safety in numbers. I may take Tara - who isnt that much bigger than your 440, so either come out with me, or take your own!

I know Bob had some terrifc cport last time drifting the Hood for pollock, and that is right close in!

Adam

Thanks for the welcome and rally call ; will leave plans until weather prospects are callable ......... not being a fan of bumping about !!

But I do know I'm free all weekend as my wife's off on an art course and kids are away !! ...... come on SUN !!!!

Alun.

Alun

Tactics for fishing plaice on the shambles are drift fishing with the same kind of gear you would fish with from Poole, perhaps slightly heavier as you will need a little more lead there to combat the larger tides. 12lb class rod or slightly less is ideal, matched that with a 6000 sized multiplier perfek. Beads, rauto or delta type spoons, booby beads all wok on there day. You will also need a nice big bait which can consist of rag, lug, squid and crab in cocktails of your choosing.

To get the drift speed right most boats drag a weight of some description to slow them down. I use a fold up anchor already tripped ie: tied on at the bottom with a length of chain attached. This slows me enough to keep the baits in the fishy zone

You can also catch other species whilst drifting. The shambles is renowned for Brill, Turbot and Bass. A couple of years ago a club member caught a 16lb cod whilst drifting for plaice but then his nickname was the codfather (not the one registered in our forum).

If you have never fished this area before it is an excting venue, well worth a visit.

Martin

Yes, I'd like to echo that. I think it is one of the best trips of the year.

And if it does get a bit iffy out there, I will be one of the first to come back in and fish Portland Harbour.

Like Adam said, we had some fantatic sport last year drifting the Hood in the entrance to the harbour, for pollack.

We have some handheld VHF's within the club which you could borrow on the day, so you can keep in touch if any problems crop up or if we move off to other marks.

So, no worries mate, come and give it a bash, like you said, weather permitting.

Bob F.

Hi all

Where are you going to launch from?

Weymouth harbour is good but car parking is ****!

Has anyone tried Preston end where the jet skiers go?

I know one of the launch sites at Portland you have to let the boat yard launch you.

Regards

Cod ph34r.gif

Hi cod

I generally launch in weymouth harbour there is no (or wasnt last year) problem leaving hte trailer at the slip car parking however is a bit of a trek. I usually use the council office car park which a long stay car park open ot the public at weekends, still a bit of a walk but not to bad.

Would be interested in finding better facillities though

Martin

Gutted! Easter weekend is my busyest weekend of the year at work weep.gifweep.gifweep.gif Ive got more chance of fishing on moon than comeing along with you guys.

Adam your quite welcome to take tara if you want, Just Bring me back a jucy plaice for tea biggrin.gif