Dry Feet

charlieannear

Poole Quay is your best bet. You could launch at Cobbs, Mitchells or Rockley - all of these have mooring pontoons alongside - much more family friendly, but you pay for it.

At Christchurch Wick has a wall at high water, but nothing at LW, and Mudeford also has a small wall, but only on HW.

Or buy them all waders! - and take a photo! biggrin.gif

Guest Guest_charlieannear_Fisherman

Thanks for your suggestions everyone!

Are there any fees or particular regulations re picking up passengers from Poole Quay?

Thanks for your suggestions everyone!

Are there any fees or particular regulations re picking up passengers from Poole Quay?

There are several sets of steps and ladders. They are all very clearly marked as to who and when can use them. Small boat ones are just on the bridge side of the abortion of a scrap metal monument on the Quay. Used only to stop , pick up and leave. If granny wants to go for a pee you cant stay moored there biggrin.gif I usualy stick one of the kids ashoe to get chips or ices and stand off and then circle round to collect them 10 min later.

There is a very posh visitors marina at tha opposite end of the quay to the bridge, I know it costs an arm and a leg to stay there but having a bit of cheek myself I would be tempted to ask if I could "just stop and pick up the family please". I mean the worst they can say is bugger off! biggrin.gif

Mad Mike

Gordon,

Yes it is - its actually quite a decent slip - fairly steep.

On a big srping the slip ends and turns to gravel - but it is a seamless transition - I have launched BW their with an Astra loads of times - just watch out for the deep hole on the RHS (Looking at the slip) - ask Paul D..... ohmy.gifph34r.gifph34r.gif

As Adam has said Lymington is great for launching at all state of the tide, but I think there is a slight drop from concrete to gravel, nothing major only a couple of inches.

It is also great from one man launch at top and bottom qtr of tide (if that's the right term) at high water use the wall on the lefthand side, launch and tie or tie and retrieve it using the wall. At low water, use the pontoon, I drop off at the pontoon, get my car and trailer, get and walk the boat over to the slip, it's only about 2-3' of water slip side of the pontoon.

Excellent information guys thanks, while were on the subject I've also looked for information regarding accessability of the slipway at Portland. Not the one in the boat yard by the Fleet Bridge, but the one in town. Only seen it in a BFM article but never actually been there myself and not able to find anything on the web. I note that a third edition of the Good Launch Guide is out, not that I knew there was a first and second, so I'll have to invest in one asap.

The slip in Weymouth is eccellent, it's not too steep and only a short ride out of Weymouth, the only problem I can see is parking. You can store the trailer next to the slip, but the nearest car park for long term is about 10 mins away.

Also the pontoon next to the slipway is for the chartered boat only (apparently), if you use it and a boat comes in expect some sticks.