Rod / Reel for Alderney

Paul D

I am in a dilema as to what rod /reel combinations to take for the Alderney trip.

Between myself and my friend who is going I have two 7ft 20 lb TC Daiwa rods and one 30 lb TC Penn Commander rod. ( no uptider rod yet )

I am thinking that something a little "stiffer" will be needed for mid channel wrecking, but given that after Alderney I will be doing little of this, then I don't; want to be coughing up huge amounts on a rod I will hardly use.

I am thinking of getting a Suvern Pro Boat Rod 12-20 lb TC for sea bream etc. in Christchurch with a TLD 15 reel. Presumably this will be OK for Alderney for light fishing or should I get the 20-30 lb TC rod - ideal for those huge cod next year ?!?

This leaves a heavier rod still being required - so I was thinking of using something cheaper - Mitchell Riptide 10-40 lb ?

Any suggestions ?

I'd go for the Fladen Maxximus range. Saw them in Castaways today.

These are really robust rods made from good quality materials which will last for ages. The rings are really sturdy and the reel fitting is all metal. They even have metal gimbols on all the ones I looked at.

Price