Live Baiting Joeys

jack

An interesting and hopefully controversial point.. Talking to a chap in the tackle shop in West Bay, He said " the best way to fish live joeys is with a single hook [circle should be good ] through the wrist part of the tail, thus allowing the bait unrestricted swimming movement,and the predator to take it head first.". I have tried it and the bait remains very active and lasts as long as it takes to get eaten...jack

Jack,

Dont know about this

Hook in tail restricts swimming less than hook in mouth? i doubt it.

As Bass will take a fish either head on or by the side you would need to let the fish get it down before setting the hook, not so good if releasing fish.

When we used to freeline sardines in the states, hooking them in the anal section did make them swim deeper so there may be someting in that.

I hook them through the nostrils but this needs checking once in a while to check the hook has not become buried.

Jurys out on this one but im sticking with the tried and tested

Paul J

I tried through the upper and lower jaw, through the top jaw only but now I have started to use PJ's method of through the nostrels I have actually started to catch fish ( having caught one bass in 2 years previously using joeys !?! ).

Using the "nostrel" method the fish seems to stay alive for ages. and just as importantly the bass seem to be well hooked when they hit the fish.

Nostrels for me !

I have always hooked them top jaw only. Tried the nostral method today, but had problems with the hook spinning, so back to the tried and tested.

EVERY bass this year Ive had has hit the baits head first - therfore I would never hook one in the tail root.

AF