Drifting In A Small Boat

Gnasher

I plan to go out form either xchurch or Lymington to try drifting for the bass. Where would be the best area to head for considering my new boat is only 14ft. I dont want to be fishing huge tides and getting the swell chuck me from piller to post. The boat is only a 14ft dory and sturdy, but I just want a bit of fishing in a decent area that would be safe.

Dan

Dan,

If you are heading out Sunday then we can show you where we fish from ( near the coastguard hut ) - Paul J caught a few bass there wink.gif and we had two on Neo before Paul caught the rest of them ! - but anchored.

I have caught drifting the shingles near Hurst ( SW of there ) which wasnt too rough.

Also try around the run - we saw a guy catch using smelt as livebait.

I think the bridge is a shallow stretch of water that is roughly 30ft deep with depths of about 100ft on the keyhaven side, then dropping down on the other. It is on our side of the needles.

I have sat many a time in my car with a maccy Ds with the kids in Milford Carpark watching some spectacular sights as the waves crash up over it, this is viewed from a few miles. I think this is the bridge anyway, but im sure the guys who drift it will comment.

Nop, that's the shingles (I think).

The Needles Bridge is about a mile long starting at the Needle lighthouse pointing towards Old Harry at Poole/swanage. The easiest way to locate it is when the tide is running, there will be a wall of water rising as much as a foot out of the sea level. It can be a little daunting at the first crossing..... rolleyes.gif

Jim, Thursday is a no go as I have got plans, so im trying on wed. The plan is to be launching from wick at 5am and have a go with my brother before he goes to work, then tie the boat up in muddiford and come back and have a bash in the evening. If your about wed and decide to go out, let me know. Im hoping to try for a ray in the morning then try for a bass or two in the evening.

Kam, well if thats the shingles, then id defo need some sea sickness pills going over that aswel sick.gif

James, I'm on hols this week and was thinking of coming down Thurs. I could do with a master class on bass. If you are agreeable, what time are you thinking of going out, low water at about 07.30, I believe at Xchurch.

Plaicemat.

Not sure what time we are going ,I hoped for an eary start to beat the tide but it depends on what time my mates turn up from brum.Your welcome to tagg along, I planned to head to the Island for half the day then a bit of bottom fishing.

you can give me a call Ill PM you my number,or channel 6.

James