what thickness anchor rope

Graham Nash

I presently use 100met of 16mm "posh" anchor rope. It fits in the hand nicely and fits the locker perfectly, but there are times Id like to let out a bit more. 

However, if i keep to the same thickness and double the length it will need a bigger locker (which I don't have) so to allow me more length, I think I'm going to need to reduce the thickness (and probably quality) of my rope. 

My boat is probably less than 1 ton so more or less anything from 10mm upwards would in theory be capable, but I can imagine that 10mm would be quite difficult on the hands while pulling in a hundred or so meters!

What are we using on our smaller boats? 

I used to have a 165 Warrior and had 200m of 10mm 3 strand. it was perfectly adequate and recommended for that boat and was easy to handle. I use the Alderney ring method of recovery so only had to pull in with very little resistance so, easy peasy.

Terry.

54 minutes ago, plaicemat said:

I used to have a 165 Warrior and had 200m of 10mm 3 strand. it was perfectly adequate and recommended for that boat and was easy to handle. I use the Alderney ring method of recovery so only had to pull in with very little resistance so, easy peasy.

Terry.

That sounds good. I use the Alderley method too but i was concerned that pulling the anchor in with 3 strand 10mm would be uncomfortable for my crew. (It wouldn't hurt me, because I don't pull it in 😀).  

I use 12mm multiplait on mine and love its suppleness and ease of handling and storage.

10mm would have been  fine on mine but I preferred slightly thicker as I found it easier to handle.

Prices have gone through the roof with some suppliers  and brands so make sure you do a good on line search to get the best prices. Have a look at  ropeservices  uk they are on ebay or direct

I use the Alderney ring system like Terry and keep the rope in ventilated anchor bag(s) in the anchor locker .The bag can be lifted out of the locker onto the deck when needed and keeps all the rope contained without tangling in the locker.

I am fortunate to have a very large anchor /storage locker and am able to carry 2 anchors and 2 bags of rope plus another bag of 100m of braided rope to extend either if required.

1 hour ago, Graham Nash said:

but i was concerned that pulling the anchor in with 3 strand 10mm would be uncomfortable for my crew. (It wouldn't hurt me, because I don't pull it in

Don't get polypropylene, this is hard, prickly and unyielding, also it floats, not good for other boat users if you lose your anchor. The nylon is fine and I do retrieve my own! 😉 Three strand is also easier to splice when making up your various connections on your setup.

Terry.

2 hours ago, Rob said:

We used to get a load of rope from Soton Uni (? maybe?). They used it a few times and they wrote it off. I'm still using it!!!

I think it was 10mm

R

There was also 12mm Rob,

Had some for my windlass but it wouldn't  retrieve when it was under load which was a shame.

I use 12mm on Madness so would say 12mm would be more than thick enough for your boat and 16mm definitely is overkill.  I reckon if you had 10mm rode you could fit a full 220m coil in your locker.

Sorry no rope left from s/ton uni we must of had around 12/14 drums of the stuff over the years.  They used it to lay expensive equipment on the sea bed and said it was to expensive to retest for insurance purposes.  Also they couldn't sell it due to liability risks so gave it to us, some looked brand new.  Brought it all back in my van 2/3 drums at a time.

8 hours ago, Maverick Martin said:

I use 12mm on Madness so would say 12mm would be more than thick enough for your boat and 16mm definitely is overkill.  I reckon if you had 10mm rode you could fit a full 220m coil in your locker.

Your boat is much larger than mine, so I should easily be able to drop from that 12mm. The 16mm BTW was a "marketplace" find for a price that I couldn't refuse.