Thunderstorms

Paul D

Anybody watch the thunderstorms last night. They looked awesome from Highcliffe and I hear they were over Weymouth/Portland.

What amazed me was there were 3 boats out fishing on Christchurch Ledge ! - I was thinking it wasn't wise to stand outside, let alone sit in a boat ohmy.gif

and why not to go out in a boat .....

Channel Ferry

Silly billy biggrin.gif The lightning actualy hit several miles away from the boat. I think there would have been significant damage to the ferry and maybe loss of life if it had been a direct hit, as it was the BBC news last night stated it was an optical illusion.

There is so much absolute tosh and urban myth surrounding lightning strikes.

Like people being electrocuted in a car. Absolute balls! A car like an aircraft is a 'Faraday Cage' so the current flows around and not through it.

Boats are generaly safe as the have no direct earth link. Chain ferries and the like are protected by earthing systems that safely ground the discharge. Think of the number of boats at sea, moored etc at any one time, divided by the amount of lightening discharges in a given area, and work out the colossal RANDOM chance of a lightning strike on any one boat. Then check out the odds of getting killed in a car crash.

Best not go out in our cars I think!! laugh.gif

Lightning - boats - facts

Mike,

I doubt there would have been any damage if it had been a direct hit. The boat would have acted as a Faraday cage and surely is well protected......

Agree that there is plenty of tosh and urban myth surrounding lightning strikes - like the one that you are safe wearing rubber boots.

However, it would be a foolish decision to set off out / stay out in a small fiberglass boat in the storms last night - your chances would have not been as random I would suggest and I dispute the "no direct earth link" - in the case of lightning it will conduct straight down the fiberglass and take the easiest route to earth ( ie. sea ).

That's not to mention the swell due to the uplift of air....

Me and the rest of the 'Kinson death doesn't mean saying goodby' group have no prob's with the lightning. Many an old fiend has been jolted back to life as we hoist them up to the roof wrapped in Baco foil and copper wire during a storm.

Believe it or not many of the reconstructed recharged lads love a bit of fishing and are often seen out in a thunder storm, hoping for the true double header. Boy you don't know what true life after death is until you've landed an 80lb conger and been hit with 57,000,000,000 Kw up yer jacksy at the same time.

Thunderstorms! Love em biggrin.gif

Mad Mike

PS Any one know how to straighten out sorta frizzy afro hair thassa bit singed?