Seals released in Poole harbour

Coddy

See the story here http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-dorset-42151872

They are still here busy eating away at Bass, Flounder etc.

A recent charter boat had one around the boat for ages which of course had an effect of no fish for the punters!

Southern IFCA and other agencies had not been informed of the release, but I can't understand if they were caught outside Poole and kept to recover in Somerset why release them miles from where they were rescued!

I remember fishing up near the stakes at the start of the Frome many years ago when up popped a seal about 150 ft from the boat, I thought that would be the end of the fishing or if we did get one the seal would be sure to have it when we reeled it in. But we ended up catching 68 flounders that day and the seal never caused us any problems. I know people are blaming the nets and the seals for lack of flounders but I think it is just a bad year the same as the cod these happen from time to time. The plaice fishing as been very good for the last couple of years after many poor years. 

I agree with Dave...but it's been a worsening situation with the flounders for a few years. I think it's about poor spawning / recruitment....possibily something has changed where they spawn in Lyme Bay.

Evidence, other than the poor catches, is seen in the Summer months. It used to be the case that when I used to launch at Mudeford [and the water is clear in Summer], there would be lots of little postage stamp size flatties zipping about as you paddled in the shallows....now you just see the odd one or two.

Alun.