Two for the price of one.

billy2shots

With the forum being down last week you lucky lucky people get two reports for the price of one.

Sunday 13th August-

An early start for me and my Pop's saw us casting off from Parkstone Bay at 05.55. The harbour was flat calm and we were confident in our plans for the day.

We arrived at the end of the Swash with the intention of getting a Ray or two on the last hour of the ebbing tide. Pop's struck first with a small blonde of around 6lbs (spots all the way to the edges of its wings). 15 minutes later and a gentle bite saw me connect to something that didn't want to leave the sea bed. Eventually I made some line gain on the critter and slipped the net under a 14lb Thornback. This is my biggest Thorny and it fought harder than undulates of similar size.

Anchor up and it was time for the second plan of the day. Fresh Bait!

Now I must confess to a little cheating here. On our way across the Bay nothing was showing on the finder and no birds were working. There was however a charter boat drifting just south of our heading. As we approached we saw the tale tale signs of rods being pumped. We allowed plenty of space and set up a drift up tide from him so not as to pinch his fish. After 10 minutes we had a bucket of Macs to see us through the day and a couple for the pan.

On to our fishing spot which was to be the very western tip of Dolphin Sands. On arrival we couldn't help but drop the feathers for the chance of getting some more bait for the freezer for the next couple of trips. The mackerel were jumping on the hooks as were plenty of scad that were returned. All the fish were good size but I picked the last smallest one and hooked him through the nose and dropped him down in the hope of a bass. Unfortunately no bass played the game but countless pack Tope were had between 5lb-10lb and another Ray although I can't remember the weight (nothing too big).

The funniest catch of the day went to Pops with a jumbo mackerel caught on a large fillet of mackerel, greedy devil.

Teeth well and truly cut on small Tope from a few sessions I need to search out the slightly bigger fish.

Back in for a washdown at Parkstone Bay at 14.30 and back to real world responsibilities.

21.8.17 (yesterday)

My Mrs and kids have been itching to get out due to the poor weather these summer holidays trips have been limited. I had Monday booked off work for a while and all week the forecast was bouncing between unfishable-ok-lovely. The decision would have to wait for the day itself.

The day didn't start well as I was woken by a txt saying two staff were off sick meaning I had to head to work. Luckily having got over the busy period I was able to leave at 12 noon. I was still a little concerned that it may be a bit uncomfortable for the kids as the junior comp the previous day was hampered a little due to conditions. Oh well let's give it a go.

1pm and off we go. The last time we went out as a family we had a bit of a shocker only landing a couple of Bream. This time I I felt the need to Boat some fish to keep the fishing bug alive within a 7 and 5 year old. To do this I used all my angling wisdom (basically got lucky) and put us straight on some mackerel. A string of 5 was lifted aboard first drop. In a 10 minute frenzy we had around 25 fish, all put back apart from 3 kept to use as fresh bait instead of the frozen fish I had from the week before.

We spun round and dropped anchor on our mark. Pressure off for the rest of the session now as it didn't matter how things went from here. We only fished until 6pm making it a short but sweet trip out but the final couple of hours resulted in 5 Rays to around 14-16lb (no scales with me).

A great little session, it was a little lumpy at first and the kids did feel a bit sick but from 16.45 when the Flood started everything went calm. It was a beautiful last hour of fishing and a pleasant trip back in.