Outboard Bracket

Paul D

On the recent Burnham trip, I successfully destroyed the hinge that holds the outboard up in the tilted postion. ( I should use a piece of wood as per others and tie down the outboard leg to the trailer ( no power tilt on mine ).

Would recommend this action since apart from an inability to reverse when this hinge is broken the new parts are going to cost about

Nope, it "crash landed" but didnt break the rudder ( by which I presume you mean the bit on the bottom ). My outboard doesn't hit the ground when lowered, so travelled with it in the "down" position all the way back,

I have a swinging pin on mine that does a good job of supporting the engine - even without this the hydraulic trim and tilt stops the engine dropping, BUT - Tony at Select Marine, STILL advised to chock the engine with a piece of softwood - takes the stress out the the mechanics when bumping along a road.

Adam

A piece of 2x2 is good enough. Rise the engine as far up as possible, then measure and cut a poece of 2x2, stick it under it and lower the engine to wedge it into place.

My outboard has a 6" metal arm which I can raise and jack up the engine, unfortunately I can't tilt the outboard forward enough (because of its height) to engage it...... weep.gif

Newboy is spot on.small refinement is a short cord attached to the wood and the engine bracket,just long enough to drop the wood into the drainage well when not in use.saves losing the block,and you know where it is when you need it..jack