12' bonwitco dinghy and merc 20

Member Removed

thanks for your advice last year (charlie) regarding fishing in the habour and outer patch. Steve an I only ventured out from parkstone once and on that occasion caught several bass on rapalas in the wytch channel and just out from the yacht club the biggest 2.5 lb. Tried the outer patch for bream but anchoring proved a problem (turning) any advice?

Anyway since the I have been given a 12' bonwitco dinghy on a 5' beam. Its an old one with a cut away transom so it takes shortshafts up to 25 HP. I have aquired an old 20 merc which is being serviced at the moment. My original plan was to use it in the river for roach and pike fishing above wareham bridge and in the harbour when the weather is good).

Does anyone have any advice on where I can use it safely (swanage bay?) Kimmeridge?. Out of the harbour? Obviously want to stay safe so better of asking the experienced!

Many Thanks

Ben

Firstly if you were fishing in Poole Harbour for Bass you may well have been breaking a byelaw which is policed by southern sea fisheries. You can find out which areas are included within the nursery area by reading this thread http://www.pbsbac.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=1617&hl=

The With/Bonwitco boats are sound little dingies (I used to have the 10') and you should be ok to fish all the areas you mention in a force 3 or less. You wouldnt want to go more than a mile or two off shore though. Bob's suggestion re xchurch harbour is an excellent idea but make sure you have your rod licence sorted.

Martin

I've a little Bonwitco for pottering around the harbour in. Great little boats for what they are. Great hull and should be ok pottering around poole bay in the right conditions. Can be a bit heavy for pulling over a beach but given a half decent slip you'd have no probs. With the 20 hp it will really fly. I use and ancient mariner 20 on mine which gives a good turn of speed.

Kimmeridge shpould present few problems with your boat taking the weather/seastate into consideration.

Hi

Yes they are a nice little boat, but be sure to check the weather conditions and wind direction carfully before venturing out to far.

an ebbing tide puts up a few waves inside the chain ferry that would give a few moments of worry.

Kimmeridge is a very fishy spot, but can rapidly lose its charm when the tide and wind are opposed.

My advice would be to start slowly and gain confidence as you go, be aware of the weather, tide and other boat traffic. while bigger boats can ignore the wash from large ferrys and powerboats you would not be advised to do so.

Be safe and tight lines for 2005

Charlie

Thanks for all the advice.

Looks like I will have to revise where I fish in the harbour then.

Is trolling with rapala's in front of the castle legal and effective ? What other species are targetable in the harbour?

Was also hoping to try my fly rod early in the morning here!

You mention the wash from big boats. Being a complete nautical novice. What precautions/avoiding actions should I take when one comes past?

Is the race at the chain ferry probably too much?

You couldnt pay me enough money to be anywhere near the chain ferry in a 12' boat.especialy when all the traffic [boat] from the last bridge lift; or when all the loonies are heading in to catch the next bridge lift;,nor at any time on any of the bank holiday weekend days. The wash,and back wash at these times is horrendous,even for larger boats.and anyone who tries to tell you otherwise wants locking up.! Sorry to sound defeatist,but at best pick settled weather and restrict your activities to the quieter areas of poole harbour...jack

Benny,

If you get a large wave from a boat then point the bow of the boat at the wave and ride over it. Avoid taking the wave sideways on.

( eg. As I am sure Sam will verify the Condor Ferry wave at Weymouth was quite impressive size - no problem facing the wave but wouldnt want that sideways on if I could help it. )

Not to harp on too much,but the wash waves at the chain ferry have no pattern or predictable direction amongst up to 10 or more large boats in close proximity,with no apparent traffic rules or lanes,often only feet apart and travelling in opposite directions,go out to play there at your own risk!! Stand in the little car park at the top of the ferry slip,at one of the peak times and judge for yourself...jack

wink.gif well i'll give that a miss then. What about in front of brownsea castle.

No 1

Is it safe enough.

2 Does it fish well?

3. Am I ok lure fishing?

4. What species will I find and what are the best tactics.

By the way being a member of lots of other forums on completely different subjects. Mainly computing (my job). I can say you guys are great and a credit to the site.

Theres nothing worse than posting something and never getting a response.

THANKS!

Guest fish finger

I will also say that going in and out of poole harbour in heavy boat traffic in a small boat will not be a very pleasant experiance. some of the guys in their big sunseekers and similar have no respect for little boats mad.gif . I had a 50ft sunseeker come right past me at 30+ knots just past the chain ferry last summer ohmy.gif . I was only in a 15' speedboat and I did manage to turn the boat into the wake and got over it alright. sick.gif I guess it would be a similar situation with your boat. I would definately start in the harbour and venture out when there is minimal traffic

Alex smile.gif

Benny,

Thanks for the compliment on the site. Youll never have the problem here of net getting an answer - the older the site gets the quicker the reply!

As for Brownsea:

Its a bit better tucked away, so you should be quite safe from the wash of the main channel, although beware that about 3/4 small passenger ferries use the boarding jetty about once an hour, youll have to keep and eye out and move for them.

The fishing is OK, dont anchor, always drift it, even close in the depth is over 12', it is very rocky, but expect Wrasse, Pollock and Pout - the odd bass turns up towards the Poole end where it gets sandier.

Lures are ok - If I were you I would pick a very early morning trip before the boat traffic picks up and troll plugs etc around the harbour entrance - about 5am ish...the bass will love these.

Adam

• 3 weeks later...

Benny, more about the boat. The With (pronounced VIT) started out as a Scandinavian built boat imported and sold in the UK by Bonwitco (They have a good web site and excelent records*). Size for size they are probably the best little sea boats you could find. They are immensely strong and unsinkable too but as omeone said they are heavier for their siaze than a single skinned boat. One of thier famous attributes is that they go like goose s*** of sandle with very little horse power and a 20 will make it FLY.

The are far safer for coastal and estuary fishing than any other boat and in calm weather you will have no problem fishing out in the bay. They have an easy motion through a bit of a chop particularly if you 'quarter the sea' as Paul sugested. Even if this means sort of tacking your way to calmer areas.

Yours should have rowlocks. A brilliant and productive method in Poole (South Deep) is rowing gently WITH the tide trailing a baited spoon just off the bottom. The fish hook themselves so make sure the rod is secure whilst you row. Fish down a streach and if productive start up the engine and beetle back and try again.

Mad Mike

* If the makers plate is still there they should be able to tell you when it was made from the number.