Easter Monday Outing

Bob F

Enticer and Splash-Out went out from Poole today. Weather was so nice we headed straight out to the spoil grounds.

Little Robert had a Dogfish (2lb 1oz) and his first ever Starry Smoothound, just a pup (2lb 4oz) but he was dead chuffed. He also had a small pout. All I caught was a LSD and a small whiting. Had a suspected Smoothound drop the bait halfway up.

Nothing exciting happened onboard Enticer apart from a couple of nice takes which didn't turn into anything.

At slack water I decided to shoot off and see if I could find Betsy Anna, armed with my corrected figures from the Dive Dorset book. Well, I found her but not close to the figures I had. There's no missing her when you find her. Had 3 or 4 drifts but nothing was taking.

Zoomed back to pick up Enticer on the Spoils and found the sounder showing a scatter of noise or possibly a big shoal of fish. We dropped down some baited hooks and feathers but nothing took, so wasn't sure what it was.

On the way back to the Swash we met Nik Nak who said he'd caught 5 small Herring on small Hokeyes, so that must have been what we had seen on the sounder.

Nik Nak had caught a Plaice in the Swash earlier on.

Our plan was to drift the Swash for the first two hours of the ebb, but we only got 20mins of fishing before the fog came in and we had to call it a day.

Great fun though, and dead chuffed to have found the Betsy Anna at last.

cheers

BF

Nice report Bob, good to see the lads out again. It seems that smoothound never really left, as I've heard that a few have been consistently caught from that area through the winter.......all sizes too. Looking forward to the less leaner fishing trips which I'm sure will ensue, now the sea temp.is finally on the up!

Rich

The fog was a bit of a nightmare, to be honest. The Swash Channel is not the greatest place to be in a small boat when the fog comes in. ohmy.gif

And to make things worse, when I was finding the Besty Anna I deleted all my track marks, so finding my way back to Baiter with the GPS just pointing directly at Baiter was a real problem (Brownsea Island tends to get in the way! huh.gif ). Normally, I'd just follow my old tracks back.

Fortunately, Mark had kept his tracks on his GPS so I just followed him home.

Lesson learned...

1 - next time I go out from Poole and Christchurch I will create and store two new tracks with wayponits from the Swash Channel to Baiter, and Mudeford Entrance to Wick/Mudeford slip. And try to remember to do this from any new venue.

2 - buy a bl@@dy plotter!!!

3 - Check my fog horn air cannister regularly. I haven't needed to use it and when I came to try it in the fog I only had a couple of blasts left. A year ago it was a new cannister, but over time I guess the air has leaked out.

BF

Bob

What I did when I ran on a gps alone was to plot all the bouys leading into and up the harbour as waypoints, these will then show up on your screen and you can delete your plot lines without worrying. I also stored a route home from the fairway buoy which you could also use.

Martin

Hi Bob

If you want, I can supply you the marks back in to Poole.

What is Betsy Anna? A wreck obviously but is it something special i.e. container ship, WW2 ship etc?

As I expect you saw all I got from the spoils was pout sad.gif

Perhaps you can point me to some marks and tactics sometime.

Regards

Coddy

cool.gif

Hi Charlie

Many thanks for the offer, would love to take you up on it.

Always willing to drown a worm or two for a good cause and would love to see what this "Magnet" ground bait is like.

I need a "fishing" freezer as the FPO is complaining (again) that she does NOT like bait in the food freezer as it smells! sick.gif

Coddy

cool.gif

Dave

Betsy Anna is a medium sized freighter that sank in the 1920's. She's in 24m of water and stands about 4m tall. Still fairly intact although the bow has collapsed backwards.

Pretty much fished out but can hold fish from time to time and should be a possible conger mark, although you don't hear much being taken from her. Tides are pretty strong out there, though.

BF

Bob,

Regarding losing your track back, nearly as bad as me losing my glasses in a foggy Weymouth and then realising that because I had done so many drifts my plotter was busily deleting the track out/in to Weymouth harbour ( whilst the Condor Ferry was somewere out there sad.gif ). Thank god for plotters !

I thought the football result might cheer you up Mark mad.gif