Orkney or what?

Wedger

Well guys. Went to see an Orkney Day Angler 19+ yesterday. Quite a beast compared to my 17 Flyer. Who has experience of the Day Angler 19 and what can you tell me. I really need to know about the inboard version. This one has a 78hp Volvo Penta and Volvo leg. Looks a bit of a beast to launch. Also this one had some bumps and scrapes along the keel and stabilisers that the present owner has just painted over rather than having them fixed properly first! There was a drip or two of water oozing from a couple of these. Any comments? Also to cover up he had fitted a mild steel keelson band. Inside the engine bay you could see the odd star crack in the gel coat obviously were the boat had been bottomed out on the mooring. Comments from the wise please. unsure.gif

Wedger, unfortunately, we don't have any Day Angler 19 or 20's in the club. Don't know why, cus I think they are cracking boats. Has anyone owned one previously?

As for the damage on the underside of the boat, I'll let others who are more experienced answer, but the drips in the damaged areas might not necessarily mean that water is seeping out. It may be just condensation collecting in the holes.

But the mild steel keel band sounds like a real cover up, which suggests the owner may have other things to hide, so those weeping repairs may be a real problem. Was it really mild steel??

My gut feel from what you have described would be to walk away from this one.

BF

Wedger,

No club members have one - but Sean who is registered under the same name on this site has just bought a brand new Day Angler 20 with and inboard - PM him for info.

I suspect the same as Bob - the condition is usually indicative of how the rest of the boat has been looked after - if the underside is a bit flakey then who knows about the engine etc.

If you really want to know, I would take someone who knows a bit about boat construction etc for a professional opinion.

AF

The guy selling this Orkney claims not to have had it afloat. He says he bought it as a 'do-up-er' with a view to getting some fishing in, but his business commitments have prevented him continuing. The engine has apparently been rebuilt by Volvo after going tight whilst left on a mooring for nearly four years unused. New hydraulic hoses, starter, recon alternator, serviced Volvo SX leg. Above the waterline it ain't too bad. (Knackered bow roller).