Rod and Reel suggestions

Guest fish finger

Guest fish finger

Hi Everyone,

I have managed to persude my dad that getting some good quality rods and reels will pay off in the long run, he has taken the view that if you are paying for an expensive new boat you might aswell have some good tackle to go with it.

I like the look of the Abu conolon rods and the Shimano Beastmaster range in the 20/30lb class range. Does anyone recommend these or can they suggest anything in this sort of price bracket? I am ideally looking for a rod around 7'.

I have been looking through various websites looking for some reels to be coupled with some 20/30lb rods. I like the idea of a lever drag reel and I have come across the Shimano TLD 15 and the TLD 20, the Shimano charter special and the Penn 330 GTI.

Can anyone say what the main differences between these reels are and which one would be the best? Also are there any similar reels that can be left hand wind as this would be my preference.

thanks in advance

Alex

Alex,

I use an Abu Conolon rod 12-20 lb TC with a Shimano Charter Special 2000.

This is a nicely balanced outfit IMHO.

I also have a TLD 20 which I use with a 30lb class rod ( cheap Daiwa Viper-X ) for codding / conger ( the one ! ) and general heavier fishing.

Before I got the Conolon I used the TLD 20 with the Daiwa for everything. Now I use the Conolon all the time . Well impressed.

Hi Alex

The Abu Conolon rods are very good and for the money you probably cannot better them. If you can afford a little more have a look at the Team Diawa. I have a Team Diawa 12lb-30lb and a Team Diawa uptider. The TDX 1230 is a tippy rod that soon locks up to give the power needed for larger fish or in my case heavier weights laugh.gif an absolute joy to use. The Uptider is a fantastic rod which can also double up for jigging shads and bassing, again a very light and powerful but forgiving rod.

Another range of rods to consider are the North Western Kevlar range especially the 12lb class rod,an absolute beautie

Regarding reels, for downtiding I use Penn lever drag reels 225ld being about right for medium work, for heavy work a 245ld is a proper winching machine. Uptiding the Abu 7000 series takes some beating

Martin

With a title like "Rod and Reel suggestions" you'll be here until next year! Everyones got their own preferences. For heavier fishing I haven't found better value than a Shakespeare XK3000 50lb class rod. Full carbon job for less than 50 quid. Its got backbone when required yet has a sensitive tip to indicate "light" bites.

You'll not go wrong with Penn reels. I've had one for longer than I care to remember. Never let me down never failed to perform. "clunky" by todays standards but very well engineered. Shimano's are worth their weight in gold. The Charter specials should be twice the price. Well made and reliable. The lever drag is faultless. If your used to a star drag then levers can take some getting used to user wise.

It all boils down to How much do you want to spend? I find a lot of tackle dealers will give you something if your spending a few quid on a couple of outfits. Theres a lot of capable tackle out there its finding the dealer thats going to give you "The deal"

Alex, I would echo previous posts re. the Charter special, it has served me well. I use a couple of penns, which have proved reliable, and have recently acquired a shimano TLD 5 which is no longer made...bought secong hand, a truly superb reel, as far as rods go, I am not an advocate of spending hundreds on rods, and have two 12 lb class downtide boat rods, both shakespeare i think, which are fantastic. My 30lb downtider is an ABU Enticer, which is punchy and does the job, this came in at about 45 squids. My uptiders are a shimano 6-8oz 10 footer, and a less expensive Ron Thompson, both are ok.

You may like to visit the DEEPSEA site, and email Chris Caines, the Skipper of Tiger Lilly, as he is sponsored by Shimano, and regularly lends out Shimano rods and reels for people on the boat to try. Knowing Chris, he will reply to your mail, wityh honest answers to sensible questions.

Best of luck, and tight lines!!

Rich

Chucking in my 2p Alex, and staying focused or 2 sets of gear to cover any downtiding (it can be done!) -

Reels - TLD20 or Penn 225LD

Rods - Fladded solid C 20-40 (if you can get them - see link on the top of this page)or here

I can't wait to actually use one of these on the boat - played with the range in a bar and can only describe the 20 - 40 as a 6 - 60!

Put some quality braid around the 30lb mark in the reels and you really could use the same gear for bream, bass, conger and rays as well as pollack and plaice...........

Hi Alex

I am sure Sam will reply soon

He uses TLD 15, 20 and 25 depending on what we are fishing for, without any problem and he is left handed.

If you are not sure of laying the line on then the Charter specials have level lines on them which will help.

As we said before the choice is endless but IMHO Shimano Lever drags are the best.

The boys use ugli stick 30lb class rods, which are very strong

and a selection of lighter rods in the 12 to 20lb range, I think that the Conolon will suit that very well.

Sam is still waiting for his one of those to arrive from Sea Angler.

I am sure you are enjoying the selection process

Charlie