Drag Weight?

Adam F

I need to organise a weight to drag around the Shamles this year.

What size should I be looking at for a 16' Warrior?

I was considering 5kg (same as my anchor) and using an old 4" diameter pipe filled with lead, basically a massive 5kg pirk?

Any other ideas?

Adam

I feel I should point out that there is a growing feeling that wieght dragging causes a lot of damage to the sea bed.

It alters the feeding ground which in turn reduces the amount of fish around the area.

You may find someone having a word or two! ph34r.gif

Just thought I would add my two pennith worth in blink.gif

Coddy

cool.gif

i found for my own boat about half asmelting pot of lead(about 10 lb) and about 18 inches of chain with the end hanging out the side and let it cool woked very well as for damageing the shambles the whole bank is on the move in the tide anyway so weights dont have any detrimental effect

I doubt that the practice of dragging weights to slow your drift especially somewhere like the shambles actually makes that much difference to the area being fished. My thinking behind this is that the banks move a tremendous amount during each tide anyway. The volume of water over these banks scour the banks moving sand and gravel on its way. The difference this practice probably does make is that anglers can actually fish the banks more effectively therfore catching more fish and leaving less for tommorrow.

So please if you do catch loads of fish, dont be greedy, just keep a few for the table and put the rest back for another day...or for me laugh.gif .

Martin

Adam,

Mark A ( Enticer ) told me he had a number of sash window weights. Promised me one.

So you could try him. ( and if you get one could you get me one while your at it please smile.gif ).

Even so, for drifting on Sunday I have one of those fold up speedboat anchors. This will slow my drift suifficiently I suspect ( as the tide is so small ).

• 3 weeks later...