river fishing

Sam

i was round my mates house yesterday and we were watching this program called screaming reels very interesting.

and one man was fishing for chub using slugs for bait does anybody no if this works.

what kind of bait or technique do you use when you go river fishing.

is using a plug any good for catching river fish.

tight lines

sam

Chub are very wiley and whilst they will eat anything - can be tricky to catch.

Plugs work well in the river - Pike, Perch and Chub will all take them - summer is usually a batter time when the water is warmer the fish are more willing to chase a plug.

If you want to borrow any books Sam, let me know - I have loads on freshwater fishing.

Adam

yeah could i borrow some please adam

its just i am going to wales in the summer and maybe scotland with my friend and would like to try some river fishing and a bit of salt water fly fishing.

so any tips, videos or books are welcome and would not mind to borrow

does anybody know any were in poole or around this area were there is any river fishing so i can give it a go.

alex maybe we could go one weekend down a river or lake if you no anywere

thank you in advance

sam

Sam,

River fishing requires licenses etc, but you can get over this by getting a 1 day rod license and fishing a 'free' stretch of river (owned by the council) or fishing a day ticket water. Their is about 7 miles of free river at Muscliff.

If you would like, Ill take you for a day, if we get a weekend of poor weather - I have coarse fished for about 18 years before turning to Sea fishing.

Adam

Guest fish finger

Sam,

Slugs make a nice big juicy bait for chub as chub have quite big mouths. There is a great variety of techniques for river fishing, it mainly depends on what you are planning to catch. The main methods are spinning with lures, float fishing or ledgering. I use plugs for catching pike on the river Stour.

If you have some free time you should come over in the holidays and we could do some course or fly fishing. I live about 3/4 of an hour from Poole.

Attatched is a picture of a chub that my mate caught when we were fishing last weekend. I didn't weigh it but I reckon it was about 2.5lbs.

post-5-1110648996.jpg

sounds good alex

were abouts do you go fishing, do you catch much

would a small spinning rod be suitable for river fishing to start off with until i can afford something else?

tight lines

sam

Guest fish finger

Sam

I fish on various rivers and lakes around my house. I would say that the fishing is generally better in the summer as the fish tend to be more active.

There are some small lakes about half a mile from my house with loads of carp from 6oz to 20lbs in them. It would be an ideal place for you to have a go at course fishing if you like. I have caught quite a few fish in the 5 - 10lb band and by best was a 14lb carp.

I have not fished there this year but the fishing is usually quite easy. I went with a mate once and we caught 74 fish in 4 hours although most of them were quite small.

I usually fish with a 12' match rod with 4lb line so anything over 2lbs will give you a good scrap. However I still managed to land my 14lber on the same kit although it took about 15 mins! Not only can you catch carp there but there are lots of small roach and some bream and tench. I usually fish with a light float rig or a light ledger fishing sweetcorn or luncheon meat. The spinning rod is not ideal but as long as it has a light enough tip it should be fine for catching them. I could lend you a rod otherwise.

My dad also has access to a lake that is stuffed with trout and would be an ideal place for you to learn a bit about fly fishing and catch a few trout.

As Paul said the rod licence is just over

sounds great alex

i think if you dont mind i might have to borrow a rod off you seen as my spinner does not have that lighter tip mainly aimed at bass fishing.

i will get a rod license at the end of this month like paul suggested and we will have to set a date.

the carp sound good it doesnt matter what size they are just so i no what it is like.

sam