Mackerel fly fishing

Guest fish finger

Guest fish finger

Has anyone tried fly fishing for mackeral,

I have heard it is great fun with light trout fly rods as a resonable sized mackerel will really test the tackle making loads of runs. (they are a member of the tuna family aren't they?)

Also I have not fished around the christchurch are much. Last year I had a 15foot speed boat (not ideal for fishing). However i managed to catch a few good bass to 4 pounds, pollack to 5lbs and loads of mackeral and garfish, trolling plugs behind the boat in the area off the long groyne at hengistbury head.

Are there any hotspots for the mackerel in this area? (i know its not time for them yet)

Any help would be appreciated

Alex

Hi Alex

The fishing out of xchurch is great with the ledge only a few mins away (im sure the others will touch on this). If you want to fly fish for mackrel then drift really close in along avon beach and follow the shoals. Dont go more than about 60m or so out and just look for them splashing. I have just bought a 8weight fly outfit with the same plan as you in mind. An evening after a real hot summers day with no wind is ideal and just drift with the shoals. A bonus bass may turn up as I was catching them trolling along avon beach last summer with feathers.

Dan

dift fish about 300 yards off hengistbury groyne. cut up about 10 mackerel into tiny finger nail sized chunks and chum regulary with these.

A 5 weight rod makes good fun of this on a calm day. You will catch mackeral, pollock, scad, bass and garfish using this method

Guest fish finger

What line do you think is best? sinking/ intermediate/ floating

Also i am not sure where avon beach is. Any pointers would be appreciated

Alex

Guest fish finger

Sam,

Its a 24lb pike (not caught on a boat in poole bay however). Gave me a bit of a run around with 12lb line and a light carp rod!

Have I seen your picture with a tope in a fishing magazine somewhere?

I recognise your picture thingy from somewhere.

Alex

kool

yeah i won junior boat catch in januarys sea angler for it and won rod and reel im still waiting for it .

hopefully arrive so i can use it to catch some pollack right size for it.

i want to go river fishing never tried it i was meant to be going with rich but i dont no now

sam

14 coming up 15 been fishing all my life and getting good laugh.gif

now im getting older trying to adapt my views further part in fishing trying to get into corse fishing aswell always looked fun

sam

Guest fish finger

You're almost the opposite of me. I am 16 and have been fly and course fishing all my life. I have only really been sea fishing for a few years and am now hoping to get into boat fishing. My family is planning to buy a quicksilver 640 pilothouse in april and have it moored at christchurch. So you will have to come out and show me how it is done!

I am planning on joining the club as it seems like a friendly place.

Alex

p.s

I am sure we could organise some course or fly fishing some time if you like.

yer sounds cool well were have to get you out on our boat sometime and take you congering for some bigguns

its a friendly place there help you with anything

the quicksilver range is a nice range of boats

tight lines speak soon

sam

yeah that was bigger than one of my dads the one on the home page that was like 3 pounds laugh.gif

my biggest is 46lb 8 oz great fun to wind in mind you i suspect so is a pike on light gear

tight lines sam

Sam...patience is a virtue!!! I've promised you some fishing on the river, and I'll stand by it!! I need to arrange another home for the fish we take out of the river, and we need movement licences etc, so it takes time!!!

As Alex says, fly fishing is a piece of piddle, try and borrow a rod and reel, and just tie a little bit of wool on the tippet, and start by casting this. By the end of the first session, you should be able to shoot a staright line!! I'll take a fly rod with me when we go to my bit of river, and give u some lessons.

Rich

Thanks Rich

Its about time I had a go at that fluff chucking, I have fancied it but never got around to it.

As you know from your own kids patience is not a word they understand to well.

He is a good lad, he just has no patience thats the problem biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

you know what I mean

"are we there yet" ring any bells

Charlie biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Rich,

I have a fly rod tucked away that you are more than welcome to borrow. I also have just received a couple of bass flies I ordered from an E-Bay link, that I intend to try later this year ( these flies look well made to me - I will bring them this evening ).

Rich,with so many members interested in fly fishing for sea species,would it be practical to give lessons/demo on a club evening,can you learn to cast indoors? especialy in a large hall ?I myself have gathered together most of the bits I think i will need ,but as yet its all a paper excersise.Like you are inclined to do when starting something new,I have read books and articles but you cant beat ,hands on,or at least speaking to someone who knows whats what.

Jack, the principles of casting are easy enough to talk through, however there is nothing like casting onto water to see how gently, (or not!), the fly lands on the water, its also better to see how straight u are shooting the head. I'm sure that when the weather improves, and there is little wind to hamper your efforts, we can get together and chick some fluff. It will be far easier for you , also, casting from a boat, so you dont have to be SO carefull, on the back cast. Quite a few of the guys are proficient, so we can see about getting one to one tuition. As soon as you get a fish on the end, you'll see why a fish on the fly is far better than a fish on a twenty class rod!!!