Two glorious days ( eventually!) on Fisheagle

Hooky

Careful planning , yes I'm a believer, keep checking the wind over the (huge) tide , make sure to allow lots of time to get Fisheagle past the bridges .

Alan had it all sorted , it went wrong when he invited me ! Over a hour late at Cobbs , not to worry lets just get a shift on as it's going to be a 48 hour trip ( sigh) .

Last week I had spent the whole afternoon sorting out this persistent problem with the big Lowrance unit (fish finder/ plotter/ downscan etc etc thingy ) Alan has had nearly two years of aggravation with this thing and has paid for a supposed 'professional, to sort it out , update this updated that it still would not perform as it should .

The main issue was the position angle of the transducer, it's a shoot through hull ( oil bath ) type it is critical to get it correct or it will keep re- setting and give false depth readings , not good when you need it to get over the planned shallow ledges of the Purbeck ledges in Darkness ! .

Without going into too much detail the issue stemmed from the sealant that had crystallised over the gel - coat , thousands of little air bubbles spread over the bottom , shame I didn't see it the first time as I all I did was fill it up wth cooking oil ( it worked perfectly until it leaked out a few days )

So here we are, still tied up to the mooring, two hours late, no depth reading, no fuel, ( in the queue) meant I had time to get to the truck, get some of my sooper - dooper wet seal goop and start from the beginning ! ( it worked perfectly , best I could do anyway)

Out into the bay, the day nearly over, let's get a few mackerel for tea , funny thing is it turned into a huge fish fest with every drop !!!

Alan and I disagree with each other on this one , we had already got a very nice thorn back , we have all seen and caught a Undulate , look at the tail , very thorny indeed , is it a hybrid ????? What's your opinion?

post-1523-0-34185200-1438527798_thumb.jpg

post-1523-0-97235400-1438528230_thumb.jpg

Round two , a lovely little Brill , add Plaice and some of my personal favourites the (very much underrated Red Gurnard .

Tope, where do you begin ? Literally everywhere some going to a fair old size , .would you like me to take your picture ?? Says Alan ( he actually took lots of his thumb ! ?? ) this is one of his better efforts !

post-1523-0-38053000-1438528499_thumb.jpg

post-1523-0-76597300-1438528700_thumb.jpg

post-1523-0-27330000-1438528933_thumb.jpg

Alan (bless his ol bones ) may be good at fishing but operating a iPhone to take the first YouTube Fisheagle channel may have to wait a little longer ,so it went back on its mount for a full hours of high definition shot of a packet of frozen squid so I think it will not make the best viewing.

No chance of going over to Chapmans for a sleep-over , my arms had had enough , never had I hauled up so many fish in a few hours . ( and I had run out of ciggies, let's head back, I'm not going to get home til midnight.

Friday : Strange one this, my mate Marcel was coming down from Swindon on his boat (endeavour 111) he needed a little help as to be fair ( !!!) he has not had the best of luck with his efforts , the big issue was some of the biggest tides of the year - yes the Blue Moon it would dictate every hour of today's fishing .

No chance (again) of me getting down to launch at Baiter , so once again Alan offered to change his plans again so we could buddy up and meet him in the bay on Fisheagle.

Endeavour is a very fine Wilson 23 : it will take one hell of a beating in bumpy conditions , main issue is that she will easily burn her 70 lts of fuel in a short time and distance , long and short of it Marcel halled up the biggest Tope I have seen in years ( he will mail me the picture, will add to this post ASAP),

Topefest ; a day when they demolished every bait at all marks in depths between 60 -120ft , like all fish they need to be treated with care and must be weighed in a sling wherever possible , , use a wire trace please ( single hook baited with live mackerel on a flowing trace)

post-1523-0-44767600-1438532086_thumb.jpg

Tired again , let's just moor up on tne visitors mooring alongside the quay , put the kettle on , sit back in the peace and quiet .

Hell no ; we heard than bangs and noise coming in , the smell of Gin was unmistakable, the guvner was coming in, Champagne bottles exploding from every angle , I think it best moderated the following pictures , Blue moon ?? ( aged mooning is moor like it )

post-1523-0-47109200-1438533203_thumb.jpg

post-1523-0-99944500-1438533393_thumb.jpg

post-1523-0-91695700-1438533582_thumb.jpg

(Full res images of Madness available by pm )

So once again , I was late, I forgot to shut the sun roof, , I could not get over to help tidy up two days of crud and crap from Allan s pristine boat, I wrecked his carefull plans for two days AND lost the pound coin for the trolley !!

So if your brave enough send invites by pm to my inbox , after all , what could really go wrong ??? ( cheers Alan)

Undulates have thorney tails too, we were very relaxed on the guvners boat, a beautiful evening at studland. Glad you got things sorted and salvaged some good fishing.

Yes, you all seemed (as you posted ) 'very relaxed ' that's what a days fishing is all about ( lol)

More piccys to follow

Many thanks for the report Hooky. Look forward to more pictures. The "hybrid" looks more like an undulate as the picture does not show the patches of spikes on the wings. You forgot to mention you lowered the anchor into 90 feet of water with the detatchable recovery ring still hanging from the anchor. God knows how it didn't drop off. Sods law the one time it got stuck. Otherwise, a great couple of days. We will get some of those bass and other elusive species next time.