A frame / Radar arch

Manic Moore

Now I have a VHF, GPS, I also need nav lights. I am thinking about getting an A frame for the back of the Eurosport, the same as a lot of ribs have.

Anyone point me in the right direction, for one in someones garage, someone who wants a cash job who can make one etc

Thanks

Gordon

cool.gif

Put down what you want on paper, either drawing or picture of an existing one including measurements. Fax it or take it to a few tubework workshop and get quotes.

I had the stainless rod holder/roofrack/radar arch on top of Sweet Honey custom made by a firm in Andover and it was

post-6-1109844605.jpg

Hi Colin.

A few of the Ribs we have at work are fitted with A Frames, with brackets to hold flare boxes and tubes for boat hooks and Flag poles etc.

Not bad as a safety boat for Sailing - Diving. but the all round white light is a pain when looking behind you at night, and the frame would definatly be in the way in a small boat when you are trying to land fish.

Our other RIBs and launches are fitted with a stainless pole, with brackets to bolt it to the console and brackets to hold the Nav lights. they are made so that the wiring is inside the tube for protection and have shield plates to stop the light taking away the cockswains night vision.

Several advantages

Good to hold on to

Do not get in the way when fishing

undo three bolts and the pole can lie in the boat for storage.

Have you considered these aspects?

Charlie

It looks a lot like a boston whaler.

I was thinking if the A post at stern is no good, how about a canvas top like the american put on their Bayliner trophy? It acts as sun visor on a sunny day, and you can put a radar arch on top for nav lights, horn, ariel and antenna etc.

Excuse the rough drawing, hope you see what I mean.

post-6-1109896897.jpg

Yes, I think they look more like a whaler than the traditional Dory.

I like the idea. It looks good and would probably mean less steel (cheaper! squeak). At the moment the pole looks vavourite as my full cover would have a job with your design, so it would have to hinge in some way. Fold forwards perhaps?

Thanks for all your advice and interest. If anyone sees an A frame lurking in a dak corner off a wreck let me know as it will still be a cheaper than having a folding pole made

Regards

Frameless Moore

dry.gif

Hi All

Sorry that I missed the meeting last night and the oportunity to discuss this subject.

Our poles at work are bolted to the console for strength because when stepping onboard the Members tend to hold on to them.

If you wanted a quick stow method they could be made to mount on a stainless VHF ariel bracket, designed to be rapidly relased to allow the ariel to fold. although it would not be as strong and the size may limit how many cables would fit inside.

I think that Gary and Peter used two of these when they designed and built the fold away frame on top of Prodigy, so she can get under the Hamworthy bridge.

I am sure that you will come up with a good design, to get the best out of all your requirements.

Charlie