Painted Weights

Newboy

Used to use them for carp fishing all the time, this is when spooky carp will notice the lead - but for sea fishing - I personlly wouldnt waste your money.

100' down - a lead looks just like a stone! On the reverse side - I dont think a colourful lead has any advatanges - the exception being of course when you attached a shiney/coloured pirk to your feathers - this is a great tactic and often picks up a bass or two.

Abu do a blue plastic coated lead - only advantage I can see is when fishing with james, so that when his lead whacks your boat it doesnt damage the gel!! biggrin.gif

Kam............interesting thread, in the goody bag from last years YYs was a blue powder coated 8oz sinker, although this has sat in my weight tub untill now!

Glen Milligan, a seasoned match angler, advocates the trial of coloured leads in an article he has penned in this months BFM. Having fished with Glen on private Police Charters, and in international competition, his inventive use of different terminal tackle has taught me not to poo-poo anything.

I have some powder coat from Gerrys, and have used it on lead heads, for jelly's and shads, but will now be flaming up the torch to try out different colours for this years matches, and see how I fare. I'm sure that current match rules do not deny the use of coloured leads, so even 1oz 2oz and 3oz Bullets can be coloured to act as attractors. It's dead easy to apply, all you do is fire up a blow torch, hold the lead with long nosed grippers, heat it then roll it into the powder coat. ease the lead around the torch, to even out the coat, then do this again untill the whole of the lead is covered. The proffesional finish is all in even heat application.

Colours I have are red, white, yellow, orange and black. It's dead easy to apply, and makes a good job on home made leads. I have also thought of dipping each size of weight into a different colour, so the bottom of the leads will show at a glance whether it's a 12oz, 1lb, 1lb 1/2 etc.

Rich

HI

Managed a bit of fishing "down under" last week-end on a charter boat.

Interesting thing was all the leads had part of a push bike inner tube pushed over them, these were plain leads for drifting.

When I asked why the response was:

1/ With 20+ anglers swinging leads it saved the gel coat (as Adam suggested)

2/ Reduced loss of leads getting stuck? (didn't understand that one)

3/ Saved the coral from damage when drifting over it

Interesting theory about not getting jammed, aparantly the lead slips out of the rubber if jammed!

Might give it a try to see if it works.

Coddy

cool.gif

Hi Martin

Managed a Pink Snapper and a Dew fish (think thats how its spelt)

Most on the boat blanked, they were manly Korean who did not understand English/Aussie!! mad.gif

One Aussie had an electric multiplyer which was operated from a car 12v battery, claimed it saved all the energy in winding in!

I was surprised that he bothered to fish at all as he wanted others to do most of the work!

It was nice to get out on the sea after all the flying I have done. sick.gif

Coddy

cool.gif

Could coated leads be an environmental thing ??

If leads are painted or wrapped in plastic do they corrode less in the water?

Does this reduce any pollution caused by lost leads......... reacting to form poisonous lead salts ?

OR.......... maybe handling coated leads is safer ?? The fingers that rig up the leads on tackle are the same ones pushing sandwiches in !! ......... with few hand washing facilities !!

How are your brain cells with lead??

blink.gifohmy.gif Alun.

I have also thought of dipping each size of weight into a different colour, so the bottom of the leads will show at a glance whether it's a 12oz, 1lb, 1lb 1/2 etc.

Hi Rich,

I colour code my leads. It is a little anal but very handy when conditions are changing as I can see at a glance what the rest of the crew are using, I don't have to fish around in the bucket trying to find the size I want among a mass of anonymous grey leads and I can tell novices "use a red one" instead of having to find them an 8oz and fit it.

Steve