Sunny Saturday.........

alun j.

............ of wind, that is !!.........mostly 6 or 7 and frequent gusts over 8 !!

I've never boat fished such a strong blow; even with a bit of shelter up at Rockley the waves were being whipped up and then their tops were blown off!!

I tied to a channel marker buoy and found myself being swung back and forth and peppered with spray from waves hitting the buoy and flying onto my little boat!

Despite the slight discomfort, it was a good call to get out ......... it was so mild and, when the sun came out, almost warm !! Great views....... and quiet , with no traffic on the water and no trains clattering along the tracks up there [WHY ?].

The water has warmed up !! ...... over 8 C. ......... that's 2 degrees up on last week and over 4 on a fortnight ago. This has got the crabs active again and I got through a load of bait and had to finish early.

Fish came steadily throughout.......... 6 bass , all under size , but most were close to a pound each and lively on light tackle; ..... 4 flounders with two of them good size at 2 - 6 and 2 - 10 .

Top tackle today was the baited spoon [ Mepps blade in front of lots of worms on a light leger, rolling around with the tide / wind ].

With a few flatties still around , I might be tempted out in the week as I've got the half term week off ..........just have to avoid the DIY. Looks like it turns quieter mid-week.

Bet nobody else got out .......... you missed out if you cancelled !!

Tight lines.

Alun.

Blimme, you wouldn't have go me out today. huh.gif

"and quiet , with no traffic on the water ", you've gotta be kidding!! laugh.giflaugh.gif

I played golf instead. Quite amusing hitting your tee shots and watching the ball hanging in the air and landing behind you!! tongue.gif That wind was STRONG! biggrin.gif

Nice Flounders, Alun. wink.gif

Must've been fun getting the boat back on the trailer. rolleyes.gif

BF

nice one allen

you wouldnt have got me out today

im glad i stuck to fishing on the computer laugh.gif i caught loads of bass and pike pike to 50lb laugh.giflaugh.gif

nice to be out fishing

tight lines

sam

Well done ! you'r my hero.My son Andy and I cried off at 7am.we have a 25ft boat and gave it best.proves the saying"where theres a will,there's a way."..Cheers Jack

ohmy.gif Was out with Frank on Sheila Marie last week and witnessed an amazing sight. We were going to the island but for some reason Frank decided to head through the Swash towards Old Harry, as we approached I spotted a dorsal fin and yelled 'Dolphin!' Frank replied that he thought it was a porpoise at which point it became evident that they were there in numbers. The sea was mirror-like and as we watched they came closer and closer in small groups--I counted about a dozen individuals, suddenly two came straight towards us and swept right under the boat at our feet and as they went we could see that these two were dolphins. We were all stunned by the encounter as well as being surprised to see porpoises and dolphins swimming together. I wonder what they were feeding on? Herring? Judging by our catch off the Needles they need training into eating dogfish!

Hi Alun

Not sure I would be to keen to be out fishing in a small boat in that forecast.

Having just spent two days Instructing Powerboat level two in the Harbour [and getting a fair amount of salt water over by floatation suit in the process] I am very aware how bad the forecast was.

And how rough the harbour was in the Main and North channels.

We would not have gone out except that we had 4 RIBs, all with full safety equipment, We were in VHF contact and with an Instructor on each boat.

Even then we cancelled boatwork at 1130 this morning in driving hailstones and heavy gusts of wind.

As we said last meeting it is the skippers discision to go to sea, but considering you were probably the only boat around, and the forecast was so poor was it the right one?

Nice fish Alun and I await a fish report so that I can add them to the book.

but was the risk to high?

A concerned Charlie biggrin.gif

Don't worry Charlie ......... I'm reasonably safety conscient.

Having taken a forecast of west going round to northwest, I reckoned Lake shore would get some shelter.

When I launched early morning, the westerly wasn't too strong and although there was a bit of a chop out in the channel, low water at Lake was only a ripple in the shallows............. and the water was almost warm !!

A bumpy ride up the channel, with a strong tide pushing into the wind...... but.... pointing little Orkney into the wind and going slowly with the tide it was nowhere near as bad as I've seen off Hurst and the boat just went up and down over the chop with no 'OOH .. ERRS'. It wasn't far into Rockley channel and water calmed quickly the further up you went [with less fetch].

The wind really got up later in the morning but I wasn't worried as a trip back with wind and tide was smooth; and the veer to the northwest made Lake a bit more sheltered and few probs on retrieve !!

In summary ......... I totally agree with the thinking on 'skippers call' and if you'd been with me I'm sure you'd have seen my thinking [ and caught a few flatties]. Just cooking a couple of them for supper.

Alun.