Packing a reel

Newboy

I've bought a big(ish) multiplier, and 150 m of 50 lb braid. As I need to pack the bottom of the reel, does it matter what if it is only 30lb cheap mono (can't afford to put all braid on)? Way I look as it is that I won't be needing 150m downtiding in the region.

Kam,

Whilst the statement that you won't need 150m downtiding raises the issue of why you have 200m of anchor line................

...........there are 2 main solutions you can employ on the reel

1. If you only really ever need 150m then you can pack out the reel with anything as a filler - wool is quite good as it firms up nicely but is light - then put a couple of layers of tape over that to create a false spool base where you want it; add braid

2. As suggested use a backing line.

Personally I would use the latter with a quality nylon at least as strong as the braid - still cheap as chips. A good tope in 100ft of water and a tide could well see you using that line - a porgy or thresher definitely will!

There is a very good reason for me having 200m of anchor rope, I bought the rope as a 'lot' which has one roll of 200m x 10mm and 10 rolls of 50m x 10mm. This lot costs a little more than 100m x 10mm I was gonna to buy from ebay, hopefully when (and if) I sell the 10 roll of 50m's, the 200m will cost me just a few quids. cool.gif

I packed the reel last night and the 150m didn't seem very much on a big reel .... sad.gif

Not that I don't want to help, but in landlocked North Hants, not many people to splice ropes around here.

To be honest if 100m/300ft is what you are aftering, try Ropeseller at ebay, he's good and if he's anywhere near Poole, you can save on postage as well. If I remember correct, his sells for around