How do we stop anchot rope from tangling?

Newboy

yep Charlie - but anchorplait doesn't really mind unless it's being stowed 'with a twist' in which case it's ac/dc.......... blink.gif

Kam, apart from first in/last out there's not a lot you can do. I would however clearly mark off every 20m and probably, given our grounds, put a 'soft divider' at around 80m + chain - even an old towel spread over the remaining coils will keep the regularily used bit from looping down into the unused section.

We were always taught to 'flake' anchor warp. Never had any probs with 3 strand or the many different plaits if 'flaked' - that's having anchored 1,000's of times. If twists were starting to appear we'd remove the anchor and then tow the warp astern to remove twists before re-attaching the anchor.

Also, we would always have the end made off so we couldn't lose the lot. wink.gif

Cheers - Jack

Hi Kam

I use polyprop 3 strand of about 12mm, I have a swivel at the end of the chain to warp plus when retreving the warp I coil it into the cut down rain tub which I use as I recover the anchor from the side of the boat. I don't have an anchor locker on my Warrior, plus it is safer when there is a swell.

I normally coil it in a anti-clockwiase direction then it seems to want to go the other way so I let it coil clockwise. I have never had a mishap yet! (fatal last words) weep.gif

As others have said it is important to coil it neatly so it will flow out smoothly and quickly when needed.

A round tub helps I have found as I have tried most other shapes before the tub. If you use one don't forget to drill some drain holes in the bottom to let out all the excess water. Stops the smells as well! sick.gif

Coddy

cool.gif

I manage to keep my rope neat by using two tubs - one inside the other.

My standard tub is the type with two rope handles like you get at most hardware shops.

Inside side this I managed to find and fit a similar length plastic tub with a smaller diameter which just actually fits the anchor inside of it.

The smaller tub is bolted inside the centre of the larger tub. My main line is coiled around between the two tubs and never gets tangled. The centre tub takes the anchor & chain + surplus rope if you are using Alderny ring recovery.

I have drilled both tubs all over with a large circular hole cutter to enable the tubs to drain and the ropes to breath.

Unlike others I just 'dump' mine in and out and never have a problem (touch wood!)

It goes in the bow anchor hatch as it come out of the water, and gets stored temporary in a big plastic tub on deck during the day. First in last out works for me.

AF