Liquid in battery box

Newboy

Kam

I know you have a takeaway but I hope your not cooking your batteries biggrin.gif

If the liquid fizzled then it probably is battery acid. Acid will not eat plastic but will clean your drive nicely. Did you leave your batteries on charge and if so was the charger left on fast charge? have you had a short? have you recently topped up your fluid level? I cant think what else would have caused your battery to spill its contents.

Anyone else got any thoughts on this one.

By the way you have been quiet lately you been on your hols or something?

Martin

I'd been away for 2 weeks, only got back last weekend. tongue.gif

Topped up battery and left it on charge before I went away, could have been overfilling I supposed, but then again when the boat 'rock' back and forth/side to side, the content surely must escape?!

I remembered an incident involving a house mate of mine back in uni days, he left the battery getting charged on the kitchen floor only to find, when he woke nect morning the acid had overflown and left a rectangular burnt mark on the vinyln floor, which result in him losing his deposit wink.gif

Is battery acid harmful to GRP? Wouldn't want it leaked onto the hull in the middle of the Solent. blink.gif

Hi

As the subject has come up, did you know that leaving a lead acid battery on a concrete floor will kill a battery quicker than anything else? sick.gif

Always stand it on a mat or blocks of wood, just make sure it does not come into concrete.

I don't know why but was told it was something to do with the water in concrete.

Coddy

cool.gif

Charlie,

Found on the internet - salt water and battery acid..... The resulting combination gives Hydrogen Chloride gas - lovely smile.gif

Sulphuric Acid + Sodium Chloride = Hydrogen Chloride gas

For the chemists here

H2SO4 + NaCl = HCL + NAHSO4

You may have a problem with your battery. If it gets too hot the plates can bend, this will cause it to discharge quickly and cause it to heat up even more when charged next time. If it is possible, remove the filler tops and WITH GOGGLES ON look into the cells when the starter running. A bent cell will bubble as long as some charge remains in the battery. If it does I