Sat - 22nd - Poole

Adam F

Splash Out and Blue Warrior headed out from Poole at 7.30am this morning. The plan was to head offshore a little until the wind pushed us back in. Saw Overdraft and Shelia Marie on the way out. Phaeton joined us about 10am.

At 9.00am we were fishing about 6 miles SE of Old Harry in 120'

Fishing was slow to start, and we missed the last of the flood dispite rushing out. The begining of the ebb saw a few bites and soon a steady flow of whiting and pout came over the side. This was interspersed by a small strap conger and a nice 8lb Smoothound.

At the next slack we came back into the Spoils with the rest of the boats. Very slow for around 3 hours, then like a light switch as soon as the flood started be began to catch a decent whiting every drop. Unfortunatly this also co-insided with the forecast wind picking up and the light fading at about 4.20pm so we called it a day and headed back in.

Not a fantastic day, but nice to be out and a few fish to boot.

Was that one of the last trips before the spring species arrive?

AF

Whose stopping you James?

Phaeton had a cunning plan that involved lying in bed and only starting later in the day (ie trying to miss the ebb!)

Given the 150 mile drive to the boat the lie in wasn't that long though..... sad.gif

Fishing was pretty flat, the odd whiting, pout and dog from time to time but at the end of the ebb I had a 4lb small eyed ray (new species for me so a PB) then dave hit what he thought 'might be a cod or a 5lb whiting...' - turned out a starry smoothy around 4 1/2lb.

As the tide started tentatively to flood a gently bite developed into a good tussle and, eventually, an Undulate that went 15 3/4 lb - again a PB. It seemed to swim away happy.

We fished on into the gloom but, despite the tide running nicely, had only a few whiting and dogs so, being pretty snotty, pouring with rain and getting black we decided to head in 'on instruments'.

Overall great to get out but a long day!!!

Zebedee says............ rolleyes.gif

Much the same as Adams report really, early start for me, collecting Gordon, and arriving at the slip promptly. The T.S. parking space available, parked and launcehed both boats. I crewed for Bob F for a first time, and found the ride quite different to other boats I have crewed on.

Getting onto the mark, we fished near the pinnacle I believe(??), and Bob managed a couple of Pout, one being taken on the retrieve by what Bob described as a shark like shape, biting through the line in an instance.

I managed a Whiting of about 2lb, and lost a reasonable conger. With the whiting still in a large bucket, we moved position, re anchored and set up to fish the end of the tide. Bob decided to throw back his large pout, that was apparently languising in the large bucket, filled with water. The fish released, and a flick of the tail, back to the depths........"Bob??? that was my whiting!!" cried Rich, "Ahhhh this is my new catch and release policy", explains Bob!!

with a gaff like that, no wonder he didnt want to join us for a pint!!! wink.gifwink.gif

Great day out Bob, thanks, and thanks for the offer of tuition, which I will take up on a calmer day. Cheers buddy.

Rich

Nice to see some of you managed to get out whilst I was running errands, mostly fools I might add.

Rich I have never considered the element within the club that do not own boat as not having experience in handling boats. This I feel is something that needs addressing as the idea of having crew is that of safety. If the crew cannot manage the boat profficiently then they could be a danger instead of a help especially in the recovery of man overboard.

Any member of the club who is not a boat owner that needs some tuition is welcome to come out on Maverick when space allows and learn some of the points in running a boat.

Martin

Martin

I was only thinking the same earlier today when we returned without reaching the marks for the second consecutive Sunday.

Perhaps it was brought on by the starter motor failing to engage properly this morning.

| had to take it off twice

The initial clean up and spray failed to cure it, so I had to locate a file at the Club and remove all burrs from the bendix

It got me thinking about other things that can go wrong, so I decided to give the Boys a long safety and VHF brief as we came back up the harbour and some practice at berthing the boat in the marina.

explaining to a 12 year old about prop walk when going astern was a bit new to him, but they both did very well.

It was a nice day for boating in the Harbour but far to rough outside, the waves were very big about 1/2 way beteen the swash and old Harry.

We had no bait for the Harbour so home for lunch and a few jobs

Charlie

A mixed weekend..great to be out but not very productive...On Saturday we were out in the spoil grounds...not an early start, but a fairly early finish. A couple of pout and a crab.

This morning (Sun) we went out to Wareham channel and caught some crabs. We also caught the bottom in the channel between Cobbs Quay and the RNLI buliding (i.e. in Holes Bay) . There are lots of notices around the marina about dredging, and the need for caution. I guess I found out why. Luckily I was only doing about 4kts so the only damage was to the prop.

No fish at all today, but it really was a fantastic day with blue skies, fresh breeze etc.. Fish would have iced the cake.

All the best,

Mike F

Sorry I missed you Adam...hopefully next time. Arctic Turn will be out of the water from tomorrow for a few weeks. But come April I hope to be around a fair bit.

My friend I was fishing with was not enjoying the waves (to say the least! sick.gif ) so I was busy baiting his rods too...he was OK as long as he didn't have to do anything... hence must have missed your call... He much prefered it today in Wareham channel.

All the best, Mike F

biggrin.gif Sorry for the delay just got a new computer and was having trouble logging in!

Still here now,not much luck out on the spoils apart from dogs and more dogs, Blue warrior and Slashout steamed out well passed us early on, but always nice to know that someone else you know is out to play! We moved back to the harbour after lunch as we had some worms to use and we needed to re-fuel, went under the bridge and into holes bay for a change pulled in 2 nice flounders 2lb 14oz and a smaller one, a nice end to the day and it was still light when we got back to the mooring at 5pm.