lights advice

Mike Hall

Hi All,

I would like some advice about navigation lights .

I have the port,starboard and stern lights already on my boat ,but no steaming light or anchor light . My question is about situating these two lights ,do I need both ? any info would be appreciated.

Tight lines and happy fishing to you all

Mike & Rose smile.gif

I would be amazed if you had a stern light - do you mean a light on a pole behind you at the stern?

Simplest, and best I would suggest as Martin, is to mount a single all round white light somewhere where it can be reasonable seen from most agles around the boat but is behind the helm position (or you won't see anything else!). This should be seperately switched from your nav lights and underway you will have them all switched on, at anchor just the white.

If you do have a white light on the stern then it should be wired seperately from the red/green but together with a forward mounted white (and that can be sheilded from the rear 180 deg and therefore the helm's vision - eg on a small mast on the cuddy or similar. you can use a 360 with a small shield of tin foil)

The reason I believe this is best is that it enables others to see what you are quickly at night, and which direction you are traveling. An all round white is fine for sailing dingys or small v slow powered craft - legal but so are lots of bad things!

Hi

Just to make it more difficult/interesting you need to make sure you have the correct size lights for the size of craft for them to be seen from a certain distance.

You also can not have tri lights, similar to yachts, as this can cause confusion as well.

If you have a stern light it may confuse others as you need one if the boat is 12 metres or longer. Think your shetland is a touch smaller than that. wink.gif

Confused? sad.gifsad.gif

Regards

Coddy

cool.gif

Coddy - as long as the other white is shielded properly he would only be showing a single white from anywhere. On re reading my post I agree I didn't make that as clear as I should have done that you shouldn't be showing anyone 2 whites on a boat that size.