NEW RADAR FOR THE BOAT

budgie

I am hoping to get some advise as I would like to fit a radar system to my boat.

I currently have a Lowrance HDS 7 plotter/fishfinder linked (with a NMEA cable) to a Lowrance VHF with AIS receive built into the radio and I would like to fit a radar with seperate display. My thoughts are I want a second display as I can use the HDS as a fishfinder and then the second display as Plotter and Radar when required. I have seen an offer on Marinesuperstore.com the following offer:

https://www.marinesuperstore.com/item/99407896/simrad-nss8-chartplotter-and-3g-radar

Question is; can I link Simrad and Lowrance together and is this unit a good one?

I have never had a Radar on any of my boats before and decided to get one when I was caught out in heavy fog last month. I was fishing close to the Spoils Ground, South of the Nab Tower, visibility went down to 20mtrs and it was an emotional trip back (was also on my own).

Thanks in advance

Budgie

Lowrance and Simrad are all part of the same group, they should work together, why not ask Simrad the question.

I used a Lowrance broadband radar for nearly 3 years when they first became available, they are a good bit of kit, the normal blobs have some shape to them. They can only have improved since then.

Are you planning to fit it yourself?

Glad you made it back, I can imagine the stress levels.

It should be compatible with you're lowrance through the nmea ,but you may need an expansion port if you don't have enough ports, then you can use you're existing transducer on the simrad.I have 3G and it's awesome it can even see bouys and seagulls !!!!!

To get radar overlay you would need a fluxgate compass

Nigel

Looking at getting it fitted, had 2 quotes ranging from £650-00 to £350-00 just for fitting only.

Yes, was the worse day I have had on the water, the boat is new and was on its 3rd trip out, had to cross 2 of the shipping lanes for East Solent approach and then get passed all the IOW ferries. A change of underpants was in order once I got back to Gosport lol.

I am looking forward to getting back to Poole, not as busy as the Solent.

I've found Greenham Regis very good, they fitted all my Lowrance kit, Andy Haynes at the Lymington/Southampton office is very good to deal with and a fisherman to-boot. . They may try and match your price for the items, then you would have a local supplier in case of problems and a one stop solution, something not to be undervalued.

Got a response back and was told that Lowrance and Simrad are made by the same company and they will talk to each other. Unfortunately Marine Meggastore are out of stock at the moment but they are getting another delivery in shortly. £1600.00 for a radar fit out is too good to miss, so will order one as soon as they come in. Just need to get it fitted. 

Thanks for the advise.

Budgie

Ah! Did wonder why the term hadn't been mentioned as when discussed a while ago it seemed the obvious choice!

Might get a radar arch for my hat, so I can have one on JoJo!

Nigel says you need a flux capacitor too Rob, presumably so you can go back in time to when there were fish in the sea ;)  :lol: