At the risk of tempting fate (again ....)

ChrisE

From what I have heard it is still not fishing with even the Weymouth charter fleet struggling to find any fish on it? Water is still very coloured and it is probably worth leaving another few weeks. They have had some Monk fish in the nets out of Poole up to 43lb in the last couple of weeks? not sure where they have appeared from as I have not heard of any being caught for years. also seems to be quite a few plaice locally.

Dave, when "monkfish" is quoted there is often confusion.

The monkfish or angel shark (Squatina squatina) looks like a cross between a shark and a ray, and I was on a boat in the Bristol Channel in the 1970s when 7 were caught using mackerel fillet for ray...all about 40lb. Weird looking fish!

Commercial fishmen, fishmongers and restaurants call the angler fish (Lophius piscatorius) the "monkfish". These are all head, and from a 35lb one caught on Brixham Breakwater years ago, the edible meat on the tail was just 7lb.

I suspect the latter have been caught in nets....but if they're around, a smallish live bait fished hard on the bottom is probably the only chance as they're low-speed ambush hunters!

Mike

Was thinking of going over to the Shambles soon and have several dates pencilled in. Spoke to couple of people last night and someone in Weymouth and little is being caught. I was even told that the mussel beds could have gone (Destroyed in storms?). Has anyone heard anything else?

May get out locally on Thurdsay or Friday if the weather holds.

Allan.

Next Saturday is on the cusp of do-able, if we can we'll be there then.  If not we've got a couple of days booked on Supernova on 10th and 11th April will report back one way or the other.

It does seem very quiet at the moment tho'.  I've heard of a couple plaice and turbos but no significant catches yet.

Was thinking of going over to the Shambles soon and have several dates pencilled in. Spoke to couple of people last night and someone in Weymouth and little is being caught. I was even told that the mussel beds could have gone (Destroyed in storms?). Has anyone heard anything else?

May get out locally on Thurdsay or Friday if the weather holds.

Allan.

Not specificaly but at least one big rock stack on the bill was smashed and chesil beach substantialy altered/battered so I would think it possible 

Hmmm. It's a long run just on the off chance, strange as Portland is usually underway by now, I've had mackerel in April down there before.

I've heard that the pollock on the wrecks have been equally poor this year?

• 2 weeks later...

You'll be pleased to hear that the plaice have finally arrived on The Shambles. On Supernova on Thursday and Friday, seven of us shared over 70 plaice, all nice fish from about 1.5lb to a best around 5lb. Turbot still slow with 2 in two days. Water has now cleared, so off you pop guys and catch 'em.