Sunday morning.......

alun j.

The best bit of a day going downhill fast ...... weatherwise.

Having got a bucketful of decent sized rag yesterday [ god knows how much that would cost, even if you could buy it ; all I see in the tackle shops are tiddlly little things..... that cost a tenner for a cupful !!] ,,,,,, went in search of the flounders in Poole. Paul [ Sinbad] needed little encouragement to join me and we dropped my little boat into Lake shore about 8.30 [ close to 1st. high] and motored against a fresh breeze up the Wareham channel and tied onto a post.

Bottom gear versus float......... no contest........ only three on the bottom seven on float........... but depth critical...... just off bottom to reduce crab attack. Wind and tide action moving the baits about also helped.

Fish came steadily through the couple of hours between the two highs.

With the ebb and wind increasing to strong , we moved over to the other side nearer to Arne for some lee ...... and saw the charter boats over in the Wytch channel. Only a few small bass, a couple of big fat rockling , masses of crabs and lots of weed in a lumpy sea as the tide pushed into the wind. So we called it a day just as the rain arrived

Quite a different sort of a day, good to using light gear again [ more like trotting for chub in the river] ...... and a supply of fish for the week as an alternative to whiting!!

Thanks Paul for the refreshments and company ; hope others made the best of the weather.

Cheers,

Alun.

Hi alun j. I read your report with interest.We in wales use what they call maddies, these are harbor rag which are bunched up on a fine wire hook size 1 or 1/0.

The same method catches the golden grey mullet off llangenith.

I know there are different methods around the country but try these little critters out,you never know they might work where it's muddy.

all the best .

chas....

Hi Chas.,

I know Llangenith and, as a teenager, fished there and on Bury Holms, catching flatties and small bass using lugworm and/or cockles from Swansea.

I've been back a few times , 25+ years on , and taken some of our chunky, king rag...... and had much more success with the bass on the big rag !!

I found the same was true last summer/ autumn, fishing for sole ........ big rag on 1/0 or 2/0 hooks ....... sole were easily able to 'wolf' these down, despite their strange shaped......... but not so small mouths !!!

Warmer the water...... bigger the bait ??

Tight lines,

Alun.

Maddie!!!!!!! well charlie, thats the name of my baby niece, i am now starting to wonder if she was conceived on the banks during last winters flounder season, and while you was doing the business today alun with the flatties, i was getting 10 bailes kicked out of me in a footy match against a team of animals from basingstoke, i know where id rather of been!!! FISHING

Forgot to add about the quality of the flounders............. all fighting fit and really thick.

No monsters......but most between 1 and 2and1/4 lbs. each.

Best 'specimens' were the rockling ........ I see these aren't listed in the records list......... What is a good size?? Yesterday's fat, slippery ones were between 1/2 and 3/4 pound ....... the biggest I've seen!

Cheers,

Alun.

I Think as Three bearded Rocking are listed in the NFSA Specimen sizes they are eligable.

We have just not had one in the book thats all. wink.gif

For info a mate who I worked with on the RM Training boat just missed the Channel Islands record in alderney when we were fishing the breakwater, then broke the Navy record on my boat in Poole Bay so they do get quite big around here.

The boat caught one was well over the specimen size and the shore one was even bigger.

I can not remember the exact sizes.

Charlie biggrin.gif

Maddie!!!!!!! well charlie, thats the name of my baby niece, i am now starting to wonder if she was conceived on the banks during last winters flounder season, and while you was doing the business today alun with the flatties, i was getting 10 bailes kicked out of me in a footy match against a team of animals from basingstoke, i know where id rather of been!!! FISHING

Hi dan for heavens sake don't use that one as bait lols,very hard to impale on a hook without it squeeling. laugh.giftongue.gif

Rockling 3bearded is the largest of the rocklings and i belive the shore record is over 2lb.They are a pinky/reddish under belly and reddy brown on top.

The five bearded rockling is a lot smaller and is greenish in colour.

King rag are good for bass and dovers big flounder always seem to be full of shellfish.I've just had more success on maddies for flounder that's all.a comp recently our way mean't if you didn't have maddies you didn't catch.

hope this helps

chas....

Dan

I believe using a Niece for bait is more than a little prone to trouble. wink.gif

On top of that using a mammal for bait is illegal. I believe the chap who landed a world record Great White on a baby seal got in all sorts of bother. and the fish did not count as a record. dry.gif

perhaps we should stick to ragworm. wink.gifwink.gif

Charlie biggrin.gif