HH VHF Advice?

Adam F

Been looking at getting a back-up Hand Held VHF for a while now.

Little bit put off with the prices of the units, until I noticed one of these:

http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/view/LWL003/

JG Technologies in Weymouth are doing them for 49 quid and free P+P, making it a good looking, compact HH VHF for under 50 squids!....

The only downside I can see and the reason for them being so chea compared to rivals is that they only pack 2 watts max power - other budget units give 4 watts (XM do one for about 99 squid) and the top spec HH's give 5 watts.

IS 2 watts OK as a back-up? Is it worth spending the extra?

All I want it for is for close range boat to boat comms and to contact the CC in an emergancy??

Hi Adam,

Used to be 1 watt = 1mile approx. Perhaps all this new technology stuff has changed that?

Can the H/H take an external antennae ? If so it sometimes will increase range on H/H's but probably need more power first.

Mobile phones pretty good as emergency back-up ?

I'll be interested in other replies as well - before I purchase.

Cheers - Jack

Adam,

Just got me thinking back some years ago when I did RF stuff with Marconis.

It is not a simple case of twice the power = twice the range.

If you assume that the radio transmits equally in all directions ( which is not true as the aerial concentrates power in certain directions, but good enough for this calc, ) then if the radio of 2W transmits to a distance of X then the radio of 4 watts will be capable of transmitting the same power at a distance of approx 1.4X

( ie. If the 2W HH can transit a signal receivable at 10 miles then the 4W HH will be receivable at 14 miles - assuming same aerial / receiving equipment ).

So not as bad as first appears.

Hope this helps

Paul

( ie. If the 2W HH can transit a signal receivable at 10 miles then the 4W HH will be receivable at 14 miles - assuming same aerial / receiving equipment ).

Hi Paul

Is your example realistic nowadays due to improving technology? 2W gives 10 miles??

I hear the theory. However I only know the practical side. Every installed VHF transceiver I have used ( there

Jack - the safety periods are just ignored in the local (crowded) waters of the South; if there is a gap someone will use it to call for a radio check or a pizza!

I echo Bob's comment re if you would only get it at that price then do so but equally would raise the even more (in my experience) aspect of keeping it charged, dry etc for when you do need it. As I have said before I have an expensive HH but, in 2 years ocassional use, it hasn't needed charging up yet! Last week, with the need to monitor and use 16, 08 , 72 and 06 I had both units on most of the time! The CG will pick up a HH clearly at 5w (I believe they have a number of relay arials) so I don't think 4's a problem for locally but don't expect to be able to call B2B with the thing and - keep it fully charged.

Finally, if you are bobbing around in your flotation suit (in Kimmeredge Bay!) will it be waterproof enough when you get it out of your pocket to call for help?

I am sure that it will be Waterproof enough, hold a charge etc and basically do all that I need - it even comes with a drop in re-charger and a built in rechargable pack - something most of the cheap HH's dont have (you need normal AA's usually x6 or 8!)

My main concern is the 2 watts...will this be enough?

Jack,

My example is confusing I think. Where I say 2W = 10 miles, therefore 4W= 14 miles was not intended to imply that 2W would achieve 10 miles.

What I was trying ( and failing smile.gif ) to show was that double the power does not necessarily mean twice the range.

I think with regard to contacting the coastguard the height of the antenna will not be an issue, since they have high antennae on land exactly for this reason. I suspect also that they will have far more sensitive listening equipment than your average boat receiver, so probably will be able to receive the weak signal.

What could/would be a problem would be the closer/stronger signals on CH16 being picked up over the weaker HH signal - although even then someone should hear the call and "normal" traffic would stop.

That said and done though, personally, if I were buying a HH I would cough up the extra

I think I would be inclined to ask the advice of the guy in the shop... pointing out that you will be reviewing it's performance (and theirs cool.gif), on the club forum... if you think it is suitable, based on his assurances... buy it.

Try it out... if it doesn't perform as he says and you are not happy with it, take it back and ask for your money back. mad.gif

Cheers,

Alan

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Decided to wait for a better model, as I dont believe in false economy...I have used and trust Icom's range of VHF so had decided to wait for one of their handhelds.

Then, browsing through good ol' ebay at the weekend I noticed one of Icoms top line models for auction...never used, waterproof, rechargable etc, etc and no bids!

Anyway I won it for under 90 squid...bargin methinks.

Another thing off the list for the new season!

Strange thing though...on the back it has a small icom sticker that reads ' Icom VHF Marine Transceiver - not intended for distress and safety purposes'

What the hell is it intended for then?? ph34r.gif

post-6-1109092803.jpg