How to splice a multiplait nylon rope?

Newboy

I assume you are talking about your anchor Kam? So it's going to be anchorplait or octoplait and it is easy to splice (without a tool) to chain.

Will find a few links and come back with them............. ph34r.gif

smile.gif think you will find this the easiest to follow - use number 2 although your rope may not look exactly like theirs you will have 8 strands and they pair up as explained. In practice I have tended to use 'convienent pairs' rather than following the technical explanation given (and it seems to work!). I use a bit of insulating tape around the ends of my working lengths which not only holds shape but make them easier to thread.

Have fun

I assume you are talking about your anchor Kam? So it's going to be anchorplait or octoplait and it is easy to splice (without a tool) to chain.

Anchorplait? Was it the rope in chain thingy on the anchor wrap you lent me? I was wondering how that works. It just seem to have plaits round/over one and other down the chain then back up the chain before you tied it off.

Does it spread the load better, i.e., not having all the load on one shackle?

It's not that I be-grundge the fiver cost. If I have to take it to a chandlery store to (ask) have someone to splice it for me, I need to drive 30 miles to Southampton, 30 miles back then to do the same again on another to pick it up.

Back to the anchorplait, do we just leave the end bits expose as shown in the picture?

Kam,

Yes and no......... rolleyes.gif

Seperate out the 8 individual strands after making a tape wrap around the rope about 18inchs from the end.

Wrap tape around the ends of the 8 strands to hold them together and make it easier to thread them through the chain links

Working in pairs thread them as in the picture until you have between 1-2" left

Using whipping thread (bit of braid does the job too!) tie together each pair so that they can't work loose

You can of course use a shackle if you aren't using a windlass but it can catch on an Alderney Ring or your hands. Additionally you have to splice an eye into the end of the annchor rope and that is far more difficult than the rope chain splice which is soooooooo simple - just try it.

Duncan - your method sounds good - havent seen it before - kind of a seamless link?

I have a teardrop eye spliced into my warp, I then use a small D shackle to attach to the chain - this doesnt catch on the ring and is OK on the hands - but yes, the splice is very hard - I got a chandlers to do mine.

AF

Thank you Richard, I was expecting the losss of the wrap so, there's no big surprise (ooch...... weep.gif )

Thanks Duncan it seems clear now and hope to have a go after I come back from HK.

Adam, another advantage I can see from the anchorplait is doing away with a D shackle which can work the bolt loss (if it isn't secured probably), that's how I lost my first anchor and chain.

Strange Kam - I can never get mine apart - it usually involves a hacksaw! I tighten it with a pair of grips so that the shackle starts to bend. A few hours in salt water sees a nice corrosive film set in and hey presto - stuck for good!