Saturday/Sunday

Oli

With the current forecast looking good I've managed to draw what's looking like an extremely short straw and agreed to take 6 old school mates out for a day and night's adventure on the boat this weekend! This will involve pitching a tent on deck and 7 of us sleeping on board with fishing in between!

In return I of course want to put them through some arm-aching pain throughout the night so am planning on an all night congering session after bassing during the day (should be interesting on the drift with that many rods!). I haven't done a night congering session for a couple of years but used to get pretty good sport on Southbourne Rough - has anyone done anything similar recently or is there somewhere better to anchor up overnight and find the snakes?

Are there still plenty of mackerel about?

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Oli

Went out tonight with some customers tried for 2 hours and not a macky on board!!

So looking like they are becoming thin on the ground!

Wind up as I havent put any away for the winter bait!!

Good luck for the trip sounds like fun!

If you cant get bait maybe a bit of sole searching maybe an option. (worms for bait)

Chris

Jim absolutely safety first - they will all be getting a strict briefing before we leave the marina.

Good idea on the sole Chris, definitely fancy a bit of that and at anchor close to shore lends itself well to a larger group! Haven't done it before but am I right in thinking about 100yds off the Southbourne zigzags with a running leger?

Thanks guys.

Oli

Sorry for the late reply Charlie - just about recovered!

Well we managed it - including pitching a tent on deck where 4 slept, and 3 of us in the cabin! There are some photos with one of the lads so I'll put them on when I get them. we headed off from Poole around 2.30pm aiming for the IOW banks but it was quite lumpy - too lumpy for 7 so I changed plan and we drifted around Bournemouth pier with worms and feathers which kept everyone entertained. Come dusk we anchored and managed a couple of sole - a first on Sweet Chariot so we were very pleased. With the sea calming down all afternoon/evening we took the opportunity to cook some soles, gurnard and mackerel and had them with bread for dinner - delicious!

Then we headed off to Southbourne rough and managed some fish there too before setting the radar guard zone and a GPS alarm and getting some sleep at about 3am (well the others did!).

Woke up at around 6.30am to thick fog, as thick as I've seen it so it was a very slow steam back towards shore where we finally got some visibility - thank God for radar!

All in all a hugely successful trip - everyone had a great time and we managed 9 species:

Black Bream

Mackerel

Red Gurnard

Starry Smoothound

Tope

Conger

Dover Sole

Dogfish

Scad

Not bad at all!