Tanners/ Solent

lofty

Myself and fellow Basstard Bri headed off early to Tanners lane. We were greeted by a beautiful morning and a herd of cows on the beach.

image-9.jpg

The sea conditions were awesome and we tied on to the furthest buoys out.

null_zpsf4dae6c9.jpg

I wasn't having much joy but Bri was doing better with a couple of good bream and a keeper bass.

Then I had a good bite on the hardbacks and my first starry of the day

image-7.jpg

Only a small one , maybe 5-6 lbs

image-8.jpg

Then Bri had a better common smut that we weighed in a sling at 9lb, his pb.

Put up a scrap coming in

null_zps69fcb205.jpg

The weed was really tough to fish through. Maybe an inshore move?

I decided to move to have a crack at the stingrays, but there wasn't a buoy where I wanted to be. I could have anchored but it turns out I was best staying where I was .Big rag baits down . Wait for the rays.

Fish on, seemed like a big ray. Came right under the yak and stayed there for five minutes. Eventually I made headway and to my surprise a big lazy starry appeared.

image-4.jpg

Half an hour later and its twin showed up

image-2.jpg

That was it for me but I was glad I stayed put as this came through on my stingray mark

I love Tanners lane. It's a fabulous venue, and it would be the perfect spot if it wasn't for the weed.

Nice one :) .

I saw the hovercraft on Sunday, I haven't seen one on the west arm of the Solent for years no idea what it was doing.

The Solent I think would provide fantastic Smut fishing, but about the time they really turn on the weed is in such abundance it makes all but the shallow and minimal tide areas all but unfishable, I haven't worked out a way round it.

Steve