New Fishfinder or Plotter or Combo?

Brian

I've got a Lowrance HDS-5 Gen 2, on MegaByte.
I don't like having to keep switching from Plotter screen to Sonar screen (I find it too small in split screen).

I want to buy another unit so I can run one as a plotter and one as a sonar, thinking about a second HDS-5, then I'll have complete backup.

What would you buy and why?  

P.S.

Don't make it too expensive, just bought Di a new car.

I have an HDS5 and an LMS-520c - both dual FF & plotters.

Don't need them to both be plotters but a good backup so I keep an old chart in the 520.

I used to have a lowrance 3500c with the 520 which was good, map on 3500 and ff on 520.

Both networked with NEMA so I could share marks / waypoints & it syncs data and things like screen brightness.

Now I will have an Ethernet to both, so can get FF on either but only Structure in the HD from the broadband box.

If I were you I would get a secondhand combo like a 520.

Rob

Not sure if you have an IPad or tablet but have you thought about downloading the Navionics App. You could use the IPad as the plotter while using your HDS as the Fishfinder, this will keep costs down as the App is about £30,00.

I have the App on my IPad and IPhone and it is very accurate and also a good back up if my plotter fails.

Though on the iPad, you need an external GPS source (like Bluetooth receiver) if you don't have the iPad with the SIM card/3G slot. As the 3G option also contains the GPS chip.

The basic iPad guesses where you are from wifi locations near by.

Rob