Flood Ebb Tides which way?

Coddy

Hi all

I know it is a simple question to those who have been here years, but which way does the tide flood and ebb? unsure.gif

I think the tides runs from Portland on the Flood and from Isle of Wight on the Ebb but I can not find the true direction.

Someone help please

Thanks

Coddy

cool.gif

With this in mind, can anyone suggest why some marks, I am thinking of a Bass mark behind the IOW for instance, fishes well on the Ebb, but is carp on the flood?

Surely, the strength of tide run will be equal in each dierection, allowing for a little differential in wind direction/strength, so why the big difference in feeding patterns?

Perhaps Pete jnr can help me out on this one?

Regards........Rich

Hi Coddy

On most marks out of Poole or Swanage I find the tide to run 240/60 degrees through the main runs.

The ebb is shorter then the flood and therefore the run is stronger. and as usual it is stronger around headlands and over shallow reefs and sandbanks.

Be aware of the bank inside the chain ferry, it gets very choppy there for small boats in a strong ebbing tide, as it does at Old Harry and Peveril ledges.

Flood towards IOW as already stated. with a lot of marks fishing better on the gentler flood tide.

Hope that helps for starters

Charlie

Thanks everyone

I have just ordered a PC planner for NT+ C-Map so I will be able to enter routes, waypoints etc. BEFORE setting off and with any luck know where I am going. tongue.gif

Out of interest, I have been around Poole today, Friday, looking at other slipways can anyone share some thoughts on the following

Davis Boatyard - slip is cheaper but I suspect parking a problem? sad.gif

Rockley Boatyard - a summer nightmare I suspect? sad.gif

Any others around?

Regards

Coddy

cool.gif

I'd used the Davies' boatyard previously. Parking isn't that much of a problem, you just stick it in any nukes and crannies you can find, between parked boats and I learnt to block the trailer off with the car, ie, unhitch the trailer, easier to park.

Only problem is the slip is very STEEP, ( now I know why there's a manual winch on the side). On the plus side, the plontoon is excellent for loading and unloading, not to mention it's a lot cheaper than Cobbs.