cleaning inside internal fuel tank

Graham Nash

On my boat I have 2 huge internal fuel tanks.that look like the boat was built round them!  Ive never used them as they were both full of brown yukky water  :o, which im sure has entered over the years via the breather pipe, which was cut off flush with the boat.. I would like to use them (maybe cut the top off one and use it as a bait well and the other as a fuel tank, maybe both as fuel tanks, who knows?)   so today I uncovered one to see how it sits.

006_zpsd4067ec6.jpg

I syphoned all of the water.out but want to know is that good enough? I would assume these tanks are probably the best part of 50 gallons so any remaining water would be absolutely minimal in comparison.

Also, the fuel pipe is connected via what looks like a standard connection .... but this had corroded beyond any recognition

003_zps66786eef.jpg

any ideas anyone?

If I were to just fit a pipe into the tank, held to the bottom (as I did to syphon it) would this work for the fuel or do these fuel tanks need a partial vacuum to build up pressure??? :wacko:

Sorry if these are stupid questions but maybe i'm just stupid  :ph34r:

Thanks in advance.

Graham.

Hi graham

As it had water in it why not give it a damn good flush with fresh water

Then I would definately presure test the tanks, before doing any more to rig them for use.

If they leak the task to get them into use could be huge

If the tanks are sound you need a good filler and vent arrangement, plus a solid line from the bottom of the tank to an in line water and dirt filter near the engine. The flexible fuel line then goes from the filter to the engine connector.

POp in to see me at work mate and I can show you some examples

This isnt an easy and quick task. Fuel and water isnt a good combo, and you cant just rely on a water seperator to sort it all out.

Charlie's suggestion of pressure testing is a good place to start. Then a pressure wash, or preferably a steam clean, then you need to get it dry.... a de-humidifier etc?

Bascially if they are sound tanks you want them as clinically clean as possible... anything else is likey to elad to issues futher down the line.

how come anything to do with boats is never an easy or quick task??? To be honest, I thought it may be a pain so I may just cut the tops off them and make them both bait tanks or storage?? I'll try to pop in and see you Charlie before I get the cutter to them as it seems a shame to cut them up if they can be salvaged and used.Many thanks for the replies.