Tackle Review - IMAX FLOATATION SUIT

Adam F

Well, the weather is pretty crap at the moment, so not too many catch reports to read - so I thought I'd do a tackle review.

When we did the recent sea survival course, I was a little dissapointed with how the Sundridge Combo Suit performed. OK the bouyancy was OK, but it held water INSIDE the suit like a sack!

With the help of Ebay, I flogged the old suit for

I was interested in the difference between some suits which are claiming to be breathable - and the IMAX which in common with alot of others isnt.

The sailing world, has gone the breathable fabric route, it does make a real difference to comfort.

What do people think - worth the extra price or not ?

Paul

What about mask? I'd read it somewhere some suit and lifejackets come with face mask. Apparently in a rough sea, you can drown by the spray.

I have only ever had one floatation suit, it's a Fladen blue/yellow one. I find it very comfortable and certainly keeps me warm. Haven't dunk it in water yet, may give it a go next spring when the temp is a bit higher.

Breathable??

Well, the Sundridge suits claim to be breathable, indeed my combo was made from their material called Silkatex - yes, it does breath, but not like 'gortex'.

Basically, the material used for floatation suits that is 'breathable' just means that it is nylon which has small holes in it!

When I jumped in the pool, the material as well as breathing and letting air in and out, it also let water in! It isnt proper breathable material.

As far as im aware no one makes a fishing suit that has inbuilt boyancy and is made from a decent goretex material - cost I think is the main factor. The Imax suit doesnt claim to breath, but the nylon is a decent heavy duty waterproof quality.

I have a couple of Musto jackets, 1 inshore and 1 offshore and a pair of matching salopettes - these are the nuts! I use them most of the year now, except in the winter when I need warmth. I agree, these are made from HPX material and are streets ahead of what you can buy for fishing. So yes - worth the extra money - but you tend to cringe slightly when you spill mackerel guts down the front of your expensive sailing jacket!