Another Tuesday near Freswater bay, another anchor

Newboy

Well, not having a brilliant day. Lost the anchor (again) in Freshwater bay (again). What p*ssed me off the most is that I did most thing right. The rope was bouyed, except it was white, not a chance in hell spotting it among all those white water today. So if anyone mad enough to go out in the next few days and see a white bouy with a complete anchor warp, I'd like it back please. dry.gif

Then we were hit by a monster swell, I guess we were about a foot of so from rolling over, scary isn't the word for it.

On the way back in, couldn't go NWW, as the swell was coming in from due south, would have had more 'side-ons', so motored SSWbefore changing the heading to N to get pass the needles.

Even when anchored in Alun Bay (?, the fairground bit). The boat wouldn't stop swinging from side to side, must had been 90 degree. Snag after snag, and resulted in one snapped rod. weep.gif

Sorry to hear you had a bad day Kam. Sometimes, no matter what you do you have days / trips like that! Just take it in your stride and concerntrate on getting it right next time.

A few commenst though, that arnt meant to sound like teaching egg sucking or damage pride, so dont take them that way!

1.) I have been away fro 2 days, but I know the forecast wasnt too good, could it have been a better decision to have postponed the trip? Waves tipping the boat over aint fun! I should know!! If it was that bad, you should have stayed up the Solent??

2.) Have you got the anchor rigged right? In the 3 years we have had a boat we have never lost an anchor...come close a few times (stuck in the side of pots etc) but have either managed to pull it up by hand or motor it out. Changing the amount of rope, angle of pull etc can all help the alderney rind method work. Finally - if you had tied it off to the bouy, a club member who is also a diver has offered to retreave lost anchors for a beer or two.

If you would like any more hands on help only too happy to come out with you again!

Adam

Kam,

I lost my first anchor on my first trip out. Do you have the anchor so that it will trip ( ie. Chain connected to bottom and tie wrapped to the shank at the top ? )

Since doing this I have not lost any anchors, although I have had a cou[ple of occasions where it was a bit "touch and go" pulling it out.

The condition at first wasn't ever as bad as the Open a few weeks back. We just didn't expect it to turn to quickly.

I used to have my rope tied to the anchor well. However, I've recently changed over to using the lazy line with the rope bouyed. Reason being I can dumped the whole lot in an emergency and I don't have to climb onto the bow to get to the anchor.

I was letting out the rope today unfortunately the rope got tangled up and the whole lot got pulled over. The bouy was doing it's job, bopping on the top, but 10 seconds and 5 waves later I've lost sight of it. Tried to go back with the gps, but the swells had started and just couldn't locate it again. With hindsight should have make a waypoint when it went overboard so that I can either look for it there and then or come back for it, but in a blind panic, couldn't/didn't think straight.

Also with hindsight, the decision to anchor was probably a bad one. There were only 2 other boats out there, and that ought to tell us something. But due to pig ignorant, we (I anyway) tend to assume better capability then we really possessed.

I lost my first anchor when the bolt on the U shackle holding the chain worked itself loose. I now tie the bold thru the hole so that it won't work itself loose.

Won't be going out in a hurry that's for sure. blink.gif

P.S The missus just told me, as she had her head resting on her arm which was on the gunnel, her face was about 6 inches from the water .......... ohmy.gif

Kam

Sorry to hear about your misadventure but glad you managed to deal with the situation and make it back safely. Our sport (fishing from small boats) is acknowledged as one of the most hazardous hobbies/pastimes to take part in. We all have had experiences we would rather forget, we mustn

All comments are welcome, as it was said, only experience (specially the bad ones... tongue.gif ) helps to gain us knowledge.

As the swell was gaining speed and sizes, my number one proirty was to get us back in the Solent for some shelter, a complete wrap is expensive(ish) but less than the excess than claim on the insurance on a lost boat!!!

It all shows that the right decision was taken to get back to a Safe Haven ASAP.

Your decision that it was better to leave/lose the anchor and warp rather than delay your return was 100% correct. biggrin.gif

No doubt any attempts to retrieve the anchor in those conditions would have been very dangerous indeed.

Why don't you try phoning one of the Charter skippers and asking them to recover your gear, they are out there most of the winter and they know roughly where you were.

A good [cash ] drink to them may be cheaper than a new set.

Charlie biggrin.gif

Kam, I will inform my pals on the Police launch of your loss......they may be able to recover said mislaid item, and book it in at office in southampton docks. Andy will let me know, ok??

Glad to read all the threads appertaining to this trip out, and yes, we live and learn. Glad you're all ok

Regards...Rich

Kam, thats very true, however with this spell of unsettled weather, fewer boats will be out behind the island, so there is still a chance of recovery. If you have the numbers on your plotter, message me with them, and the good old boys in blue will have a look for you. I will also ask the Skipper Of Due South, to keep his eye out, I know the guy well, and he will help if he can.

I spoke to Andy, the sergeant on the section, and Ive also spoken to the office in Town Quay, S'oton, so they are aware. Hope it turns up for you.

Regards, Rich