Got me an outboard

aikidojohn

Well it looks like I have any way Mercury 50Hp long shaft but it is a two stroke just been serviced electric start with all the controls £650. But it is up in South Wales, My mate lives there and is going over to see it with his friend who is a mechanic 

so he will have a look at it first. So all being well "Power in our time" I wont need the oars lol

I have taken onboard the three tank bit one out one back and one in reserve 

Is there away of locking the outboard on the boat or must it be removed?

Hi  AJ,

Some people use these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stainless-Steel-Outboard-Lock-Secure-your-Out-Board-Quickly-Easily-All-Makes-/150749434098?_trksid=p3284.m263&_trkparms=algo%3DSIC%26its%3DI%26itu%3DUCI%252BIA%252BUA%252BFICS%252BUFI%26otn%3D21%26pmod%3D261124881570%26ps%3D54

It hides a mounting nut from theives and makes life awkward for them.

You can't stop them but you can slow them down a bit.

Jim

They don't slow the thieves down very much, they used an angle grinder on mine.

But I wonder what the insurance company would have been like if you hadn't had one fitted at all? This one is an 'insurance approved' lock too

Agreed though, it's getting to the stage where you need one on every bolt, not just one bolt, and have a titanium plate sandwiched between the layers of GRP in the transom...

But I wonder what the insurance company would have been like if you hadn't had one fitted at all? This one is an 'insurance approved' lock too

Agreed though, it's getting to the stage where you need one on every bolt, not just one bolt, and have a titanium plate sandwiched between the layers of GRP in the transom...

I can imagine the tears from the guy who has to fit the engine to boats with a titanium plate !

Mind you it's probably a very good idea Charlie I've worked on that stuff and it eats tools for a pastime !

But at the end of the day - - if people don't buy it - - - nobody will nick it.