Saturday........

alun j.

How many of you got dragged out shopping........ or doing chores on what was a lovely day for fishing ????

With only a little encouragement Sinbad joined me for a trip to the limits of my little boat. So calm, so mild, so little tide ........ we slid out from Mudeford at first light ......... and carried on past the Needles..... dropping anchor in 28 m. of water a couple of miles south ......... just as the tide [ what tide ? ] was turning.

Fishing with only a couple of ounces in all that water was great for bite detection ...... shame it was endless pout and dog....... but not for long!!

Next...... me into a conger, grabbing one of those pout..... then Paul stuck into something bigger pulling on his little wand of a rod ,,,,,, 5 mins later up comes the bulk of a cod...... which only just squeezed into my net..... but only weighed 12lbs. on his scales [ looked bigger !!!!]...... FINE FAT FISH !!!!..... worthy of photo. [sinbad to post?]

Then......... a conger to the surface........ and lods more doggies. Should we move?? Increasing tide ...... so we stayed......and then started to get more and more whiting........ ace whiting !!! ...... lots of good sized ones, in such good condition......... and when we ran out of bait......... we still caught them on strips of pout [ a first for us both !!].

Lots of other boats about [ but none so small !!]...... counted about 25 in the circle of vision........ but well spread out....... no one on your warp !!

Great White motored past........ and carried on in much closer to the cliffs... too far away to spot any action !!!

With cool box bulging...... and cod on the deck ...... had the most picturesque trip back ......... a gorgeous sunset of colours to left, a misty calm of Christchurch Bay to right with no one save the odd oil tanker to avoid .

Perfect chill to the working week!!

Alun.

What a good report, it is so nice to read a well writen and descriptive tale of a good days fishing.

Unfortunatly I am unable to go too far from home at the moment so I had to turn down an invitation to fish with Paul D today, but at least your report gave me some of the feeling a good days fishing would have given.

Mad Mike

Great Report Alun,

I had not realised you were out there, which boat was yours out of the 22 I counted?

We did not have any large fish but a lot of pout and whiting.

The whiting were ripping apart all our large baits in minutes and getting caught regularly on the 6/0 pennels.

We kept about 10 out of the 3 dozen or more we caught, the largest and a few that would not go back.

They were a better average size than we normally get all between 11/2 and 3 lb.

In the end like you, we had used all our squid and herring, the large baits were converted to whole fresh pout and we were catching whiting on all sorts of cocktails fron the scraps

A great day to steam to the island, with the sunset reflected off the needles and a flat calm it was perfect.

The boys are already asking when we can go again

Charlie biggrin.gif

Hi Charlie,

We were the smallest boat out there......... a little blue Orkney 4 40....... it was Sinbad who spotted you as you came by........... why did you carry on so close inshore ???

Not being greatly experienced out there.......... and arriving early, before all the charters..... we just aimed for a space as ther was little in the way of bottom features to go by......... we motored past a slightly deeper area close to the Needles then anchored on a gentle [ very gentle ] slope......... but couldn't see any pattern in position.

It was just great to be able to get out to a spot my little trailaway would rarely be able to get a sniff at !!! .......... and we got a cod !!

Alun.

Hi Alun,

If I had realised that was you I would have come over to say hello.

We had been given some approx numbers and depths to try so we tried 2 places in close.

Frank was further out and just getting pout so we went for the inner spot

I have never been over that far East in GW before so have no numbers for the area.

That said It was a good day. 1 Conger and dozens of decent whiting.

Charlie biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Alun

Just to say thankyou - what a great day! was a bit concerned about freezing solid onto my rod, but shoudnt have worried as we soon had the steam pouring out of our layers of clothing such was the pace on the six rods.

I'll post that picture later tonight, as you will see, fully togged up, so must have been early on in the day. After that, we were back into late summer gear,

I think the two most memorable sayings of the day, which seemed to have an instant effect were

Alun: " When did you last see a Cod"

....Could be one coming up..

Sinbad: " We havent had a dogfish for ages, have we ?"

- Alun achieving a 'double header doggie' almost instantly.

unsure.gif Postscript to a fine day:

Thinking I had achieved something on my 12lb rod, I promptly took apart the ageing penn, for a clean up / stripdown at 10.30pm - needless to say a bad mistake....no bits left over on the table, but the number of times that little bit of spring wire went flying past my ear, or dissapeared into the internal workings I almost gave up the will to live.

blink.gif Reminder for tonight : have another go at making it revolve when you turn handle.

Paul